Create private membership site with BuddyPress
I run a private network based on WordPress and BuddyPress and am looking to customise the way new users register and login to the site. I’ve been searching and found various techniques to achieve this since there’s no built in option in BuddyPress to restrict new users from login until an administrator has verified and activated their account.
Background: My site has two parts. Lots of pages and posts that are public and available to all users through Google. This is targeted towards search referals to get potential members to visit the site. The other part (the interactive BuddyPress functions such as Activity, Members, Groups, Forums etc.) are protected from public access using the plugin S2Member. To access these functions, you need to be a logged in member.
This is the process I’m looking for:
1. New user visits site, registers through the standard “New user” registration form which I have customised with a few custom profile fields.
2. Details are saved and the user is presented with a message saying that “An administrator will now review your membership application and send you an e-mail once your account is activated.”
3. An e-mail is sent to the administrator who then manually activates the user after verification of the information the user has filled out.
4. An e-mail is sent to the new user welcoming them to the site and introducing them to the different functions.
5. The user can now login and access all content.
What I’m looking to do is to redirect the activation link e-mail that is sent to the new user to the administrator. I’ll then be using S2Member to restrict access to the interactive BuddyPress functions and manually change the user role to a level where the user can see the BuddyPress functions after verification.
I’ll be posting my progress here and hopefully this will be a relatively easy way to create a private membership site. Any thoughts or mistakes in my plan so far?
- The topic ‘Create private membership site with BuddyPress’ is closed to new replies.