Custom Page Child Template to Extend A BuddyPress theme (custom-community)?
I would like to add a custom page template (a specialized online payment form) that I can use in the BP-compatible theme I am using (Custom Community). I don’t want to mess with the theme itself, so am attempting the Child Template functionality of WordPress.
When I enable my extended theme, I get much of the Custom Community theme functionality, but things like menus are messed up.
Is there something beyond the normal Child Template functionality required to make this page template? Or, is there another way to make a new page template available in an existing theme, while still following the good development practice of separating my custom work from the theme itself?
What I have done so far:
* added a new folder to the themes directory, and in this folder…
* added a style.css whose template name is “custom-community”
* added a file online-payments.php with the normal WP comment header (including “Template Name: Online Payments”), then
* activated my child theme — much functionality works, I can see my page template in the list when creating a new page but the header image, menu customizations, etc. of my buddypress theme are missing.
I actually just want a new page template type, not necessarily a new child theme. Is there a way to retain the functionality of the Custom Community template while adding a custom page type that I can create?
- The topic ‘Custom Page Child Template to Extend A BuddyPress theme (custom-community)?’ is closed to new replies.