Group discussion forums and content missing after BP->bb forums migration
My site has both site wide forums (powered by bb) and public group discussion forums (powered by the customized bbPress 1 that came with BP). After upgrading bb from 2.2 to 2.3 and BP from 1.6.1 to 1.6.3, I followed the migration instruction (http://codex.buddypress.org/buddypress-site-administration/migrating-from-old-forums-to-bbpress-2/) to migrate BP discussion forums to bb forums.
As part of the final migration steps (I think this step should be included in the link document above), I created a bb forum name ‘Group Forums’, and configured bbPress setting for BP (Dashboard: Settings > Forums – checked “Enable Group Forums’ and selected ‘Group Forum’ as group forums parent.)
After the migration, I encountered the following problems:
- None of the group forums showed up under ‘Group Forums’
- When I navigate to each of the group’s home (activity) tab, I can see activities such as new topics added, comments added, etc. But, if I click on any of the topics to see the full content, I get ‘Oh bother(sic)! No topics were found here!’
- When I navigate to the group’s forum tab, I get ‘This forum is empty’
- After I have navigated to the group’s admin tab, select Forum, ensured that ‘Yes, I want this group to have a forum’ is indeed checked, and clicked ‘Save Settings’, this particular group’s forum now shows up under Group Forum. BUT, with (0,0) for topics and replies when in reality there are topics an replies in that group’s forum.
WHAT THE HECK DID I DO WRONG? I don’t understand the quirky behavior why my group forums do not show up under their parent forum (Group Forums) initially. And, why I can no longer see any of the topics and replies in the group forums.
I do recall that during one of the repair step within ‘Repair bbPress 2 forums relationships’ process, the repairing process posted the following message but I have no idea how to fix.
Repairing BuddyPress group-forum relationships… Complete! 0 groups updated; 0 forums updated.
I’m having the same problem – did you ever get to the bottom of this @bjwangschowe?
Yes, with Ray’s help, I was able to resolve this. I had posted this problem in this (buddypress.org) and CBOX (commonsinabox.org) forums.
The details can be found in the http://commonsinabox.org/groups/help-support/forum/topic/problems-migrating-old-forums-to-bbpress-2-2/ thread in the CBOX forum. Look for my post dated February 6, 2013 at 5:18 pm and read on.
I did document my successful BP->bb forums migration process. And, I can send it to you as pdf if needed.
Hope this helps and good luck.
- The topic ‘Group discussion forums and content missing after BP->bb forums migration’ is closed to new replies.