Invite Friends From Profile
It would be great to give members the ability to invite non-members to view their profile and possibly join the community. Right now, there is a way to do it from the Dashboard, but it would be much easier and more intuitive to be able to send an invite from your profile page.
oh, sorry,.. i did not notice it, thanks! @pcwriter
I was thinking of adapting the wordpress plugin from the openinviter.com guys to work with BP. It would be from a profile page. To me that just seems like the right place to be. I’m inviting people to the network after all and not to a group.
Cripes leave that sort of thing open and you’ll end up with a blacklisted domain. the security aspect of this – as simple as it is – must be pretty tight
Can it be done in such a way that it sends the email from the user’s account rather than from the domain’s? That would off-load the emailing to the external server, and at the same time, not compromise the domain’s integrity.
Btw @boone, love your plugins, keep up the good work Hopefully you can post some progress here and maybe we can help with development.
Hello to everyone following this thread. I just released version 0.4 of my Invite Anyone plugin, which, as promised, adds the invite-by-email feature.
Here’s what’s new:
– “Send Invites” tab added to the Profile section
– “Send Invites” has two subsections: Invite New Members and Sent Invites
– On Invite New Members, users can enter email addresses, a custom invitation message, and check off some groups that the invited member will receive invitations to when they join the site
– On Sent Invites, users can see all the invitations they have sent, as well as whether or not the member has accepted yet
– When a user accepts an invitation, they receive invitations to all groups to which inviter(s) have invited them, as well as a friendship request from each individual who sent an invitation
– A link is added to group Send Invites pages that goes to the profile Send Invites page and pre-checks the group’s box
– There’s a Dashboard panel for sitewide admins that allows them to control some of the default behavior of the Send Invites page, as well as the visibility of the Send Invites tab. You can create a blacklist of users who are not allowed to send email invitations (good if you have spammers in your community!), limit by blog role, or by length of time since joining the site.
It’s been fairly thoroughly tested, but it’s possible (likely even!) that there are still annoying bugs. Please let me know if you find issues or have suggestions.
Definitely doing some testing in the next few days!
Thanks for the stable release Boone. Will this run on single WP?
Hi Anton. I have not tested on single WP, but the invite-by-email functionality should work, as far as I can see. The only thing that won’t work is the email verification, which is built on MU-native functions. But I have put those inside of a function_exists conditional, so it shouldn’t break.
Over the next few days I will get a single WP install up and running and I’ll give it a go, but I don’t foresee any big problems.
I’ve got a single WP install and will start testing it tonight. I’ll let you know of there’s any problems.
When logged in and viewing another member’s profile, the “send invites” link on their account is visible. Shouldn’t it only be available on your own profile?
First test on single WP gives this error: Fatal error: Call to undefined function is_email_address_unsafe()…
Crap, I had fixed the other-people’s-profile thing and then reverted something at the last minute. I will roll a new version shortly with the fix.
I’m surprised about the is_email_address thing. I guess function_exists doesn’t work the way I thought it did. I’m going to have to move email validation to a different file that only gets required on WPMU. I’ll do that right now and check in another release shortly.
- The topic ‘Invite Friends From Profile’ is closed to new replies.