2. Whether you’ve installed WPMU in a subdirectory or as a subdomian: it is installed in the root folder.
3. Whether you upgraded from a previous version of WPMU. If so, from which version: No, first time installed wpmu
4. Whether WPMU was functioning properly before installing/upgrading BuddyPress: yes, it still is.
5. Which version of BuddyPress you are running: v1.0, released 30 April 2009, installed via simplescript at bluehost
6. Whether you have any plugins other than BuddyPress installed and activated, yes, the redirection plugin (checked that already), avatar plugin, wordpress.com stats, akismet, statpressCN, Sociable, Author Avatars List, google analytics
7. Whether you are using the standard BuddyPress themes or customized themes: standard
8. If running bbPress, which version: yes v0.9.0.4
9. A list of any errors in your server’s log files, not aware of any relevant errors
This may be your issue. You really should not be installing complex software platforms like WPMU by using third-party installers. You should manually install WPMU paying careful, close attention to the readme.txt file that comes with it.
the redirection plugin (checked that already), avatar plugin, wordpress.com stats, akismet, statpressCN, Sociable, Author Avatars List, google analytics
To isolate WPMU and BuddyPress issues, you need to deactivate all plugins. This means that BuddyPress should be the only plugin running period. If your site issues go away, then you activate one plugin at a time, testing with each reactivation, until you get the problem again.
not aware of any relevant errors
The question asks for a listing of any errors in your server’s log files, it does not ask for you to decide whether or not they are relevant.
When providing a listing of errors, you do not need to copy into the thread the entire contents of each error file. A single error can be repeated many times. We just need a single instance of each, unique error. More times than not that is sufficient. If we need more info, we may ask to see the entire contents.