Skip to:

Translation files not being picked up

  • philpeter


    I’m having trouble getting a translation to take effect. I must be missing something but I’ve spent ages trying to figure it out and gotten nowhere.

    I’ve created buddypress-xxx.po and .mo files, put them in both /wp-content/plugins/buddypress/languages and /wp-content/mu-plugins/bp-languages

    I’ve also added the following code to /wp-content/plugins/buddypress/bp-custom.php:

    // Activate the custom terminology for DevelopaDream

    define( 'BPLANG', 'developadream' );

    if ( file_exists( BP_PLUGIN_DIR . '/bp-languages/buddypress-' . BPLANG . '.mo' ) ) {

    load_textdomain( 'buddypress', BP_PLUGIN_DIR . '/bp-languages/buddypress-' . BPLANG . '.mo' );


    Despite that, I’m still not getting any change in language on the site at all.

    My set up is :

    • WPMU 2.7.1
    • BuddyPress 1.0
    • Plugin: bp-Events 0.58
    • Custom BP theme (though only customised colour scheme)

    Am I missing something?

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

  • Lance Willett


    Hi Philpeter,

    The language files go only in /wp-content/plugins/buddypress/bp-languages (do not create this folder, use the existing one) and should not be copied or placed anywhere else.

    Move your “bp-custom.php” file out of /wp-content/plugins/buddypress/ and into /wp-content/plugins/.

    If you are still having trouble, make sure the MO version of the file was created correctly.



    Thanks Lance, that sorted it!

    It was the second part – the location of bp-custom.php.

    Cheers, Phil

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The topic ‘Translation files not being picked up’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar