Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

"Auto Group Join" plugin added

• westpointer
    Participant

@westpointer

I’ve added a new plugin at http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/auto-join-groups/

Automatically join a member to a group based on a profile field. For example, say you have a profile field where the person selects his state from a drop down list. If he selects, New York, he’ll be automatically added to the group New York. Or, if you have a profile field for “Favorite Animal” and the member selects “Dog”, you could automatically have him become a member of the group “Dog’s Rule” and “Best Dog Food”.

Comments and suggestions are welcome!

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)

• abcde666
    Participant

@erich73

cool idea !

Is it compatible with BP 1.1 ?

westpointer
    Participant

@westpointer

Yes, it will work with BP 1.1.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Nice work.

Inactive

Hi Westpointer and everybody,

I actually posted this two days ago but it seems my old username (alialib) couldn’t post publicly on forums for some reason.

So I’ve tested the plugin with 1.1 and, unfortunately, it doesn’t work properly. It does work, but you have to hack it:

‘bn-auto-join-group’ on lines 122 and 88 of the plugin needs to be changed to ‘auto-join-groups’

This will fix it. At the moment if you click ‘edit’ it directs you back to the dashboard, and ditto if you click ‘save’ having changed the urls and accessed the editing area.

Hope this helps everybody. Westpointer Sir, great plugin, thank you.

One suggestion: could you specify what group they join instead of having to put parameters in? This would make it perfect I reckon.

Cheers all.

r-a-y
    Keymaster

@r-a-y

Wow… how did I miss this thread? :)

Need to test this for sure!

Thanks for this plugin, westpointer!

Mariusooms
    Participant

@mariusooms

One suggestion: could you specify what group they join instead of having to put parameters in? This would make it perfect I reckon.

+1, indeed…we have many different courses. Instead of matching param it would be a very welcome feature to match group names manually to select options.

Great plugin already though!

bcbccouk
    Participant

@bcbccouk

Thanks testalib — I was looking through the code myself to try to find what was wrong!

Users don’t seem to get automatically added to groups during registration/activations on my setup for some reason. Is there something wrong with the hooks? The functionality does when when users edit there profiles.

abcde666
    Participant

@erich73

@Westpointer:

your plug-in-website still says:

“What version of BuddyPress is needed?

This plugin was tested with version 1.0.3 of BuddyPress.”

westpointer
    Participant

@westpointer

Thanks for the input! I was confused when I posted the version information. I’m away from my main work computer right now so I can’t absolutely verify but I believe the version needs to be AT LEAST BuddyPress 1.1. The version of the plugin I posted does not work with 1.0.3.

I’ll update the plugin on Monday and confirm version information.

arjdan23
    Participant

@arjdan23

Hi, I’ve tried the plugin with buddypress 1.1.1, the last stable version.

First I fixed the directory name (rename to “bn-auto-join-group”), then the admin section works well. Otherwise when new user registers it doesn’t happens nothing.

Plugin works only if an existing user change its informations or if I disable an reactivate plugin.

arjdan23
    Participant

@arjdan23

also in http://buglenotes.com/ plugin doesn’t work

westpointer
    Participant

@westpointer

Hey Guys – the hook that used to work at activation was no longer doing the job. I have a new file available. Please send me a message with your email addy and I’ll send it for testing.

Thanks!

westpointer
    Participant

@westpointer

‘bn-auto-join-group’ on lines 122 and 88 of the plugin needs to be changed to ‘auto-join-groups’

Sorry I missed that. The file was suppose to be named bn-auto-join-group.php. I was confused by how the WP repository works. :-(

westpointer
    Participant

@westpointer

Updated plugin available here at my test site! Now, how do I update on WP …

http://brentandmary.net/2009/10/24/bn-auto-join-group-plugin/

arjdan23
    Participant

@arjdan23

Hi, I’ve downloaded plugin version 1.1 from this link.

It has the same problem of old version.

Automatic join doesn’t work on activation but only when user change information on profile.

Can you help me?

Thanks

gazouteast
    Participant

@gazouteast

Ooh I so want this plugin for when I finally get group avatars to work

Westpointer, anyway you can add me to a notify list for once the bugs are ironed out? – maybe create a group here on BP.org that we could all join

Thinking about it – does BP.org allow group creation for individual plugin and theme authors to develop a “fan club”? Would be a good idea in my reckoning.

Gaz

arjdan23
    Participant

@arjdan23

Hi, that was my error. Plugin auto group join works fine with buddypress 1.1.2

thanks

Chris Houghton
    Participant

@chris-houghton-2

Hi – just checking to see if anyone else has this working on the current version of Buddypress? I’m having some difficulty – it doesn’t seem to work – people aren’t actually joining groups even though I specified the correct field values (I think).

Anyone else? Thanks.

r-a-y
    Keymaster

@r-a-y

This has been reported to work on BP 1.2 by a few users:

http://brentandmary.net/2009/10/24/bn-auto-join-group-plugin/

FYI, for WP 3.0 you have to change wpmu-admin.php to ms-admin.php, but it seems to work.

Alas, it’s not quite what I wanted, but it IS really cool and I may use it later on.

I must be missing something, but I can’t figure out how to configure this…
    Directions:
    Configure in wp-admin via Profile -> Groups Link under the Site Admin section

Where is this? What is the “Site Admin” section?

I’m using WP 3.0

Thanks for your help!

MrsAngelD
    Participant

@mrsangeld

is there anyway to hide the User join notices from the activity stream?

wildcatdigital
    Participant

@wildcatdigital

I’m having the same problem as brian-hatano above! I’m using WP2.9.2 / BP 1.2.3 and I have no idea what the “Site Admin” section is. Does this work with regular WP, or just WPMU?

Edit:
    Just found this link: https://buddypress.org/community/groups/creating-extending/forum/topic/just-added-our-version-of-auto-group-join-as-well-as-forum-topic-mover/

Anyone want to try to make this plugin work with WP 3.01 and latest BP? I could really use the ability to have folks auto join a group based on a profile field.

Try again…Anyone want to try to make this plugin work with WP 3.01 and latest BP? I could really use the ability to have folks auto join a group based on a profile field.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • The topic ‘"Auto Group Join" plugin added’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar