Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

404 errors – fresh install

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Did you figure this out? I’m having the same problem.

Does WordPress MU work without BuddyPress installed? If not, then you need to fix that first.

Baur
    Participant

@baur

same problem, yes WPMU works fine without BuddyPress installed!!!

wildchild
    Participant

@wildchild

This looks exactly like the bug mentioned in https://buddypress.org/forums/topic.php?id=2314 ; did any of you find any solution for this ?

TheEasyButton
    Participant

@theeasybutton

Freaking Wildchild, if you’re using the newest release (1.0 RC-2) then your buddypress stuff should be in wp-content >> plugins >> buddypress

If not using the new stuff, then sorry I’m of no help.

wildchild
    Participant

@wildchild

@theeasybutton: I’ve tried almost everything, except a clean test install. I’m probably forced to do one, although I’m not fully convinced it would fix the problem once I’d return it’s original data back ….

I tried following the howto step-by-step to get RC2 implemented without luck at all

Time for a fresh install if it’s still not working for you.

TheEasyButton
    Participant

@theeasybutton

Make sure you check out the new paths compared to the old ones. If your directories aren’t named correctly and things aren’t in the right spot, it’ll kick those 404’s out all over the place.

i.e. make sure your buddypress stuff is all in wp-content >> plugins >> buddypress >> “all files” vs the old mu-plugins >> “all files” path.

Maybe someone else knows, does this database fit perfectly with the old versions? Could Wildchild do the 100% fresh install and then just put the database data in?

wildchild
    Participant

@wildchild

@Theeasybutton: I’ve tried installing a testbuild, it worked. As soon as I started migrating the database data, the slugs did not work anymore.

I’ve only been replacing all wp_1_* data, changed the domain to test; no more, no less.

The problem must be with the data; since a fresh install works perfectly and after the data gets imported, I get the nasty 404 bug.

ncandelier
    Participant

@ncandelier

Hello,

I am facing exactly the same problem.

WPu correctly setup, and Buddypress activated as a plugin,

all the links at the top of WP lead to 400 :

The requested URL /press/members/admin/activity was not found on this server.

The requested URL /press/members/admin/profile was not found on this server.

The requested URL /press/members/admin/blogs was not found on this server.

I checked my WP folder, and no members folder.

How is it supposed to be created?

Thank you.

Nicolas

wildchild
    Participant

@wildchild

@Theeasybutton & Ncandelier: I’m glad I’m not the only one with this problem, hopefully it will lead to a solution for the next upcoming releases because this is quite annoying ;)

@Ncandelier: Did you use existing data or is this a fresh install?

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

@Glenham, it sounds like you’re not using the bphome theme, and your current theme is missing the functions.php functions necessary to route those URLs to the members theme.

wildchild
    Participant

@wildchild

@JohnJamesJacoby: I’ve tested this with the bphome theme, visible on beta.artistplug.me ; I’ve also tested with a standard install, copying over the database data … since then things got wicked… — also tested copying over the functions.

I’m very sure you are on to something ; how can we verify everything gets passed well through these functions ?

I also wonder for how far and reliable the WordPress XML export/import functions work towards a succesfull migration for 10 RC1 blogs towards BP v1.0 ..

Inactive

I have the bphome theme running, and am experiencing this problem (404 errors on *most* of the menu items).

It seems as though the home theme is working ok, except that it can’t connect to the member theme. I’ve already tried that trick where you switch to the other member theme & switch back — nothing has helped so far.

I dread having to ask our tech support to give us a clean install of WPMU — WP was working fine before (and WP is actually still working fine – it’s just the BP stuff that isn’t working!)

Jeff Sayre
    Participant

@jeffsayre

Sgoetz-

You’ve posted this issue in another thread where I have replied specifically to you. Please go and look at my response and then provide me with additional details.

https://buddypress.org/forums/topic.php?id=2314&page=2

derosion
    Participant

@derosion

What about Apache logs? assuming you’re using apache?

Will White
    Participant

@willpcg

I’ve been having the same problems. All the theme files were placed in the right spots and now a few of the pages on the front end work, but most of the user specific stuff is still popping 404s. I have a post in the how-to section that died about about this topic. Looks like we’re S.O.L. for a bit until someone has a eureka moment.

wildchild
    Participant

@wildchild

@WillPCG & Sgoetz: Do you got qTranslate installed by any hand? If so, check out the post at https://buddypress.org/forums/topic.php?id=2693#post-14750 which is started especially to this 404 problem caused by qTranslate.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

@Frecking Wildchild: The problem with qTranslate is currently being addressed, kind of. Let’s hope these issues aren’t because of another URL re-writing plugin.

qTranslate also won’t play nice with BuddyPress because of a few issues I addressed in a recent BuddyPress core patch. I’m using qTranslate for a multilingual project I’m working on that also uses BuddyPress, so I’m learning the ins and outs of qTranslate as I go also. I’ve modified it to work as a site-wide plugin similar to BuddyPress, and I’ve created a patch/plugin to allow users to specify their default language in their user preferences.

BuddyPress won’t play nice with a whole lot of language switchers or URL hi-jackers yet, but it will as improvements are made to the core.

wildchild
    Participant

@wildchild

@JohnJamesJacoby: Is there any possibility to override the bp slugs like members, groups etc.. so they would still work? Because since the problem is pinpointed to that single qTranslated module, I’m having problems with the multi-translations …

or is the progress in the latest svn/trunks ?

Inactive

@Freaking Wildchild – nope, I don’t have qTranslate installed. The only plugins I have are the BP ones. I think we may resort to blowing away this installation and trying again.

Ishimwe
    Participant

@ishimwe

I have had this issue three times and all the time the only thing that has worked is a new install. That is, wipe clean the wp-admin, wp-content and wp-includes and all files for Mu , rename existing ones to something like wp-admin_old (that’s what I do).

Then:

1. Finish the WP MU installation/upgrade first. Make sure it does work before you go to the next step.
    2. Install buddypress plugin first and activate it
    3. Reupload the blogs.dir files to the wp-content from your backup manually.

This is guaranteed to work. So far, buddypress doesn’t seem to have any other magic solution to this issue.

Jeff Sayre
    Participant

@jeffsayre

@Ishimwe-

Posting in a thread that has not seen activity for more than 2 months will not get you anywhere. Please read this post.

metrofan
    Participant

@metrofan

Please ignore this test post.

trusktr
    Participant

@trusktr

Also, please note that after installation you have to transfer theme files from

wp-content/plugins/buddypress/bp-themes

to

wp-content/themes/

The folders you need to move are:

bp-default

and

bp-sn-parent

If you do not do this, you’ll be getting 404 errors! Read the install directions!

https://codex.buddypress.org/getting-started/setting-up-a-new-installation/

If you are making a custom theme, make sure to move the extra template files to your new theme folder! ;)

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • The topic ‘404 errors – fresh install’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar