Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

404 Errors on all pages

drmikelbrown

@drmikelbrown

Hello All,

My site is idreamconnection.com. I have a clean install of wp WordPress 3.2.1, bp 1.5. My server is a linix running php 5.2.13. I bp site is a multisite setup. on my homepage all five tabs gives me 404 errors. Is there a way that I can test this or does anyone have a similar problem?

Thanks

Viewing 22 replies - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
    drmikelbrown

@drmikelbrown

bump. please excuse my bumping this but i need to get this working, any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance.

@mercime
    Keymaster

@mercime

drmikelbrown

@drmikelbrown

@ mercime

I do have them set to pretty links /%postname%/. cleared cashe and still 404 Error. any ideas.

thanks

granville
    Participant

@granville

Hi Dr Mikel Brown
    This sounds like an htaccess issue. Please see this post.

http://buddypress.org/community/groups/how-to-and-troubleshooting/forum/topic/404-on-every-link/

To summarise, you should have a file in the root directory of your folder that is called .htaccess (there is a fullstop at the beginning of the file name). The contents of the .htaccess file should contain the following:
    # BEGIN WordPress

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteRule . /index.php [L]

# END WordPress

Hope this helps
    Rob G

drmikelbrown

@drmikelbrown

@ granville

according to the bp plugin documentation the. htaccess file was to be changed to this:

# BEGIN WordPress
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^index.php$ – [L]

# uploaded files
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?files/(.+) wp-includes/ms-files.php?file=$2 [L]

# add a trailing slash to /wp-admin
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?wp-admin$ $1wp-admin/ [R=301,L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
    RewriteRule ^ – [L]
    RewriteRule ^[_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/(wp-(content|admin|includes).*) $1 [L]
    RewriteRule ^[_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/(.*.php)$ $1 [L]
    RewriteRule . index.php [L]

# END WordPress

I did that. am i suppose to leave the olf RewiteCond?

Thanks

drmikelbrown

@drmikelbrown

Again I am sorry for the bump…. anyone have any idea concerning this??

drmikelbrown

@drmikelbrown

Sorry bumping again. I was almost ready to to my site live and this update set me back in a major way. Please help.

thanks to everyone that has helped me so far.

Blogurp
    Participant

@blogurp

I had that same error on my site. The problem was my theme. Everything else worked perfect except the 404 errors. I had to purchase a BuddyPress 1.5 for sure compatible theme and now my site is running smooth.

drmikelbrown

@drmikelbrown

@blogurp

I am using the default BP theme it should work. That would be too crazy.. to purchase a theme to get buddypress working when the pre-packaged theme designed by bp does not work. that would be funny if this was such a serious problem for me. BTW what theme did you purchase.

Thanks for your help. Does anyone know what is another idea is to getting this working?

Thanks again.

Blogurp
    Participant

@blogurp

@drmikelbrown The default theme did work with mine when I tested it after having those errors, so, you have a deeper issue. I purchased mingle It’s $40 and the ultimate theme to totally customize your website http://themeforest.net/item/mingle-multipurpose-wordpress-theme/235056 BTW, my htaccess file looks like this:

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /

# uploaded files
    RewriteRule ^files/(.+) wp-includes/ms-files.php?file=$1 [L]

RewriteRule ^ – [L]
    php_value upload_max_filesize 16M
    php_value post_max_size 16M

I have subdomains and not sub directories.

Blogurp
    Participant

@blogurp

@drmikelbrown The default theme did work with mine when I tested it after having those errors, so, you have a deeper issue. I purchased mingle It’s $40 and the ultimate theme to totally customize your website http://themeforest.net/item/mingle-multipurpose-wordpress-theme/235056 BTW, my htaccess file looks like this:

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /

# uploaded files
    RewriteRule ^files/(.+) wp-includes/ms-files.php?file=$1 [L]

RewriteRule ^ – [L]
    php_value upload_max_filesize 16M
    php_value post_max_size 16M

I have subdomains and not sub directories.

drmikelbrown

@drmikelbrown

@blogurp

I choose sub directories because I thought it would be easier of the to methods. The code that i have in my .htaccess was provided by the plugin. perhaps i should recut and paste in order to insure that I copy/pasted all of the code.

I’ll let you know what happens. Thanks guys for all of your help..

drmikelbrown

@drmikelbrown

@blogurp

I choose sub directories because I thought it would be easier of the to methods. The code that i have in my .htaccess was provided by the plugin. perhaps i should recut and paste in order to insure that I copy/pasted all of the code.

I’ll let you know what happens. Thanks guys for all of your help..

@mercime
    Keymaster

@mercime

== The code that i have in my .htaccess was provided by the plugin. ==

What plugin did you use? Why was it necessary to install a plugin for .htaccess which would be automatically generated when you create a network?

@mercime
    Keymaster

@mercime

== The code that i have in my .htaccess was provided by the plugin. ==

What plugin did you use? Why was it necessary to install a plugin for .htaccess which would be automatically generated when you create a network?

drmikelbrown

@drmikelbrown

@ mercime

My bad I communicate my point incorrectly. The generated code from the network did create the .htaccess in the backend of wp. I copied the code and pasted it over the exsiting .htaccess. It’s not a .htaccess plugin. However I am currently looking in the backend to locate that code again and I have not found it yet. Any ideas?

Thanks

BTW, I have dropped a ticket at my hosting company just to cover all the bases.

drmikelbrown

@drmikelbrown

@ mercime

My bad I communicate my point incorrectly. The generated code from the network did create the .htaccess in the backend of wp. I copied the code and pasted it over the exsiting .htaccess. It’s not a .htaccess plugin. However I am currently looking in the backend to locate that code again and I have not found it yet. Any ideas?

Thanks

BTW, I have dropped a ticket at my hosting company just to cover all the bases.

drmikelbrown

@drmikelbrown

@mercime @blogurp @granville Before I go any further please allow me to say thank you for all of your help. I am post the solution to my problem in hopes that it will help someone else.

The problem was with the .htaccess, not its configs but it was the permissions. I had a security plugin installed that told me that this file needed to be locked down and it gave me two settings. I choose the stricter setting and did not realize I locked my whole site. The hosting company saw it in the error file :( (AGH, I did not think about checking these but I should have.)

Thanks Again

drmikelbrown

@drmikelbrown

@mercime @blogurp @granville Before I go any further please allow me to say thank you for all of your help. I am post the solution to my problem in hopes that it will help someone else.

The problem was with the .htaccess, not its configs but it was the permissions. I had a security plugin installed that told me that this file needed to be locked down and it gave me two settings. I choose the stricter setting and did not realize I locked my whole site. The hosting company saw it in the error file :( (AGH, I did not think about checking these but I should have.)

Thanks Again

@mercime
    Keymaster

@mercime

Thanks for coming back and sharing your solution :-)
    Cheers.

@mercime
    Keymaster

@mercime

Thanks for coming back and sharing your solution :-)
    Cheers.

kizinko
    Participant

@kizinko

SOLUTION: I know this is an old post, but I figured I’d share that I found a solution in case anyone else stumbles across this thread. The solution that worked for me was simply re-saving my permalink structure at Settings > Permalinks.

Not sure if other permalink structures will have issues, but mine is set to “/%postname%”.

Viewing 22 replies - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.