Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Extending BuddyPress Rate Forum Posts to rate blog posts

• Dwenaus
    Participant

@dwenaus

I have created the BuddyPress Rate Forum Posts plugin that allows users to self-moderate the forums. A few forum members have requested that this plugin also be able to rate blog posts. While there are plugins out there that allow for rating blog posts, having one BP plugin that does both makes more sense so that the ‘karma’ points are unified.

This functionality is not needed in the project i’m working on, so I won’t be building it into the plugin on my own. However, one forum member has offered to pay for part of this work. I’m writing this post to see if there are any other people who would like to contribute some $$ to see this new feature implemented. Let me know.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)

Inactive

Ok

We are using BP on WP (not MU) and I would love to see your karma approach used in the post comments (it would also be great to allow users to accumulate Karma by just participating)

We see it as a great way for the community to self moderate where good posts shine and poor posts fade away. Community moderation is a pain in the butt and we don’t want to implement profanity filters etc as we think they are a bit condescending (and of course they filter out legitimate words too).

For me empowering the community with this is a great addition.

Pledge of $400 made, hopefully a few other members will join in to push the total up a little to see this happen :o)

Warren

Xevo
    Participant

@xevo

Not really interested there are enough plugins that allow this already. Perhaps a plugin that allows to rate everything on a wordpress/buddypress site (with the option to disable certain spots). For example: actvity, comments, forum posts, blog posts, pictures (bp album+) etc etc.

And I understand that you want to be funded for your efforts, but please don’t ask money on this forum.

Inactive

“Not really interested there are enough plugins that allow this already.”

Erm ok Name one? -(that keeps a centralised karma score)

“but please don’t ask money on this forum”

He has put it out as an option – I asked him to :o), to see if anyone else would be interested in taking this plugin on a step or two further than he had intended.

Honestly people just don’t get OS at all any more – the end result is free but the time put into it isn’t ever free sombody is either paying for it or spending it.

You’ll have to excuse me but that felt a bit like a typical freeloader comment of thanks for all you hard work, I’m not interested in it, but how dare you try to make a living.

We all use the hard work of others for free, many of us rarely contribute time, effort or money (I’m as guilty of this as anyone) but is it really necessary to post when you have nothing to add or gain? – that’s not in the spirit as far as I’m concerned.

Cheers

Warren

Xevo
    Participant

@xevo

@ Warzan

I’m all for earning money on plugins/templates but I don’t want people offering their services on this forum, this forum is for questions about the main software, buddypress. If people want to earn for their efforts place it on your own blog for example or be like wpmu dev and ask a subscription fee.

O yeah. https://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-postratings/

And I did add something to the topic, that it’d be more interesting if the plugin would support rating/voting on all components.

georgef101
    Participant

@georgef101

“O yeah. https://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-postratings/”

This doesn’t work with Buddypress and wpmu, does it?

I would like to know more. I haven’t checked out your forum plugin yet, but definitely in need for a type of plugin that you are talking about.

Will I be able to display ‘rankings’ on a separate page that I can add to my template?

Inactive

“O yeah. https://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-postratings/”

Its not the same thing unfortunately – and it hasn’t been updated since last year by the looks of it. (A bit of a red herring in this thread)

The one Dwenaus has built has the potential to store Karma points centrally from forum posts, blog posts and i suppose any activity could score.

Nice idea on the Rankings Table though :o) that’s a nice reward for community members.

Hopefully Dwenaus will let us know if that’s an option.

Dwenaus
    Participant

@dwenaus

A rankings table is an easy thing to add. Thanks for clearing things up warren. Xevo, i’m not asking for myself, I’m asking on behalf of others that want to see this happen and share the cost with the community. I don’t need any of this functionality, cool as it is, for my project so I won’t be developing it without outside support. If other people want to code this and add it to my plugin they are welcome to, but let’s be realistic here.

The spirit of open source is not that everyone works for free, rather it is that we share code freely. BIg difference.

3sixty
    Participant

@3sixty

The spirit of open source is not that everyone works for free, rather it is that we share code freely.

Nicely put! That this does seem like an appropriate venue to pull together strategies for getting plugins developed. Sometimes that is going to involve paying people money for their time, and there’s nothing wrong with that.

In terms of getting this one done: What’s a reasonable amount of money to cover the development cost? How do we vouch for our pledges?

Dwenaus
    Participant

@dwenaus

I estimate the extension to the plugin will take between $600 to $900 to implement. However as features get added, the price will increase slightly. We can work out all that out as we get closer to doing it. And if it goes over budget, I’ll just keep coding till it’s done.

Probably the best way to vouch for pledges is to send 30% via paypal when I start, then another 30% when I reach a significant milestone, and then the remainder when it’s totally done. (or simpler, you could just send 50/50 for start/complete). I’m fine signing a simple contract if that is needed by anyone. However I’m a very honest trust worthy person (for whatever that’s worth!)

And like I pointed out above, I’m not doing this to look for work, I’ve got enough going on already. If any other competent developer wants to do the coding, by all means speak up, i can still manage things and someone else can code it. Heck, maybe someone just wants to code it for free!

3sixty
    Participant

@3sixty

Let’s set up something here? What do you think?

http://www.kickstarter.com/start

3sixty
    Participant

@3sixty

Also, can I put in a vote that this be extensible? Like that GSoC project for the Report/Ignore plugin, the Ratings system should really be content agnostic – whether you put the rating interface on the activity stream, forum post, blog post, or other BP “component” type.

And speaking of that, there is a great “rating” system in MrMaz’s Links plugin. So not sure where all of this is going, but one would think your reputation as a BP user would be a combination of your forum posts, blog posts, and links, right?

https://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/buddypress-links

Dwenaus
    Participant

@dwenaus

@3sixty – I like the kickstarter website. I think it makes sense to put this project up there, then the pledge system can really work, and only if we get enough $ does the pledge go through and I build it.

About making the system content agnostic – excellent idea, however this may require re-writing some core aspects of the plugin which will take more time. I makes total sense that all these things be integrated so that your total karma score is a combination of all your activity across BP and WP/WPMU

Dwenaus
    Participant

@dwenaus

I posted on their site, and all looked good until I noticed that they use Amazon Payments and mention that as of now, it only works in the US.

3sixty
    Participant

@3sixty

That sucks. There must be a way to work this out. We’ve come too far to let this experiment go!

Dwenaus
    Participant

@dwenaus

they said i could do it with them with a friend who has a US account. My father lives in the US, so Its going to work out.

3sixty
    Participant

@3sixty

awesome!

Wildrot
    Participant

@wildrot

Oooooor, we could just code a kickstarter plugin for BP :p — Just kidding. I’d contribute some bucks as well.

Hector
    Participant

@hector99

I’m all in for this plugin. What’s the status (dev, $, etc)?

Cheers!!

Dwenaus
    Participant

@dwenaus

@hector, contact @warzan.

as of right now, we’re waiting for enough funds to get this going. I believe we have over half. about $300 – $400 more would do the trick.

Hector
    Participant

@hector99

Thx @Dwenaus.

@warzan Just as a reference, how much has each supporter been giving on average? I may have to go to my early community for fund raising, so I’d need a feasible target.

Cheers!

BOW
    Participant

@bofw

@Hector @Dwenaus

Sorry guys had to open another account here as i seem to be locked out of the other one :(

Guys we will pay the $450 if someone else can come in with $250 :)

But id really like to get a start on it :)

Cheers

Warren

@dwenaus another option for plugin development would be to create a project on http://GitHub.com. There’s a handful of BP plugins up there already and GitHub can provide a DONATION widget powered by http://Pledgie.com. Example project with the donation widget: http://github.com/gmate/gmate

Personally, I’d rather see a leader take charge of a plugin and then invite other developers to collaborate. The plugin itself would be FREE, but any funds gathered through GitHub and BP > Extend > Plugin > Donate will be split amongst the developers involved.

Dwenaus
    Participant

@dwenaus

@agrundner – thanks for the info. That looks like the way to go. But to be honest, I’m not aspiring to be a BP plugin coder, so if anyone else wants to take over development of this plugin – be by guest! I just wrote this for a client/project and am sharing it with the community. Maybe I’m being selfish, but I don’t want to be responsible long term for managing the plugin. So perhaps your suggestion makes the most sense so that a community of developers can take ownership. thanks.

So what was the end of this story? i’m interested in this plugin and can participate with some $

I am interested in this, too

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • The topic ‘Extending BuddyPress Rate Forum Posts to rate blog posts’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar