Categories
Search
Bottom

Avatar Problems – Upload failed! – Cannot move to upload folder

• Maxaud
    Participant

@maxaud

I’me getting this error when I try to upload any avatar:

“Upload Failed! Error was: The uploaded file could not be moved to the upload folder.”

Normal WordPress uploads are working fine.

Working on WPMU 2.7 “Bleeding Edge” and BuddyPress r832

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)

• Maxaud
    Participant

@maxaud

I should also add that I’ve tried with the following directories chmod 777 with no luck.

wp-content/

wp-content/blogs.dir/

wp-content/blogs.dir/1/

wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/

wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/avatars/

I’ve also tried uploading images that were way too big or way small and still got the same error.

multimedium

@multimedium

I am having the exact same problem. First, I got an error saying that the folder wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files couldn’t be created. Then, I chowned the wp-content folder recursively, which then resulted in the error you are getting. The only difference is that I’m using the current stable version of MU, 2.6. I have searched for hours and I’m not finding a solution. Help!

Maxaud
    Participant

@maxaud

I ahd the same problem.

Couldn’t be created and then it couldn;t be moved.

It’s working fine on a test 2.6.5 install that I have.

The seems like it may be an ownership problem on those folders? I think the owner of the folders needs to be apache or www.

Maxaud
    Participant

@maxaud

re-installed with most recent version of both WPMU-bleeding edge and BuddyPress and it seemed to fix the issues.

I don’t think it was a BP or WP issue but a server problem.

Thanks for helping.

djsteve
    Participant

@djsteve

I had the same error.

I tried to change blogs.dir to 777 and the folders within it to 777, but my ftp gave an error.

Then I noticed was that my blogs.dir folder was “owned” by nobody.

So my server peeps changed the ownership of the folders,and I was able to make them 777. Then I noticed that mu/buddypress made a new folder “02” down a few folders.. but then I still got the upload error.

after many more emails my server admins found that:

The issue was that a directory ournewbuddypresssite.com/avatars needed to be created and given permissions of the web server.

hope this helps anyone with similar issues, and perhaps an update may be needed to the install documentation? not sure if it’s just me or my server issues though..

(fresh install with Mu V 2.7 and bpress beta2 I’m pretty sure)

ddegraw
    Participant

@ddegraw

thanks DJ Steve!! That solved it for me :)

Jimthedj65

@jimthedj65

I updated to the latest svn build tonight and it solved it… I think it was a BP code issue.. Noticed that add friend no longer works…

Frumph
    Participant

@frumph

Having the problem today.

angie_jones

@angie_jones

Had the same problem, when I moved my site to a new host. It was also the file owner who caused that trouble.

Frumph
    Participant

@frumph

whats the directory path(s) it saves to, then moves the file to?

MartinNr5
    Participant

@martinnr5

wp-content/blogs.dir needs to be writeable.

The 1.0b2 build had a problem with this though (at least for groups). When upgrading to RC1 the problem went away for me.

Frumph
    Participant

@frumph

yeah but on windows server 2008 its heirarchal permissions and everything is set so pretty unsure what the problem could be at this point

MartinNr5
    Participant

@martinnr5

What permissions do you have set? “Everyone”, “Full access”?

mkgold
    Participant

@mattkg

Running into this problem today, and creating an avatars folder didn’t help. Does anyone have another solution?

Mascix
    Participant

@mascix

same problem couldnt solve the chown or chgroup or chmod. what else can I do ?

mkgold
    Participant

@mattkg

Has anyone been able to find a solution to this yet?

mkgold
    Participant

@mattkg

Hi Everyone,

I have solved this problem on my installation with help from a very wonderful sysadmin. Here are the two steps we took to make this work:

– PHP safe_mode turned OFF

– PHP able to execute the “readfile” function.

Now that we’ve done that, things appear to be working. I hope this solution works for others.

keston
    Participant

@keston

@mattkg: Thanks a lot, its working fine for me with safe mode OFF.

vito687
    Participant

@vito687

Im having the same problem on the latest branch of WPMU2.7.1 and latest trunk of BP

vito687
    Participant

@vito687

::wrong forum::

Kenneth Jensen
    Participant

@kennethj

Having the same problem with avartars.

Anything new here?

Jeff Sayre
    Participant

@jeffsayre

Anything new since two months ago? There have been many changes to BuddyPress over that time!

Have you searched the forum and read this thread

If so, then you need to provide more of an explanation than “Having the same problems with avatars”. That tells us exactly nothing to begin the process of providing support. Please see this thread as well.

mhoo mu
    Participant

@mhoohu

Oh, It’s working fine on set safe mode off

erikshosting

@erikshosting

Just thought I’d mention that I had this issue and solved it by checking that the blogs.dir folder AND ALL SUBFOLDERS, RECURSIVELY, were set to ownership by ‘apache’ and had 775 permissions.

This took some time to trouble shoot, as it turned out my host was only setting the blogs.dir folder to ownership by ‘apache’ and not its sub-folders. I had to specifically ask a second tech support guy to check the sub-folders for me before I figured this out.

‘apache’ needs to be the owner on apache machines, the rest should have the main ftp user as the owner (you may have to enable group permissions so you can still edit them)

I Hope this article I wrote helps: http://erikshosting.com/wordpress-tips-code/buddypress-avatar-upload-failed-fix/

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • The topic ‘Avatar Problems – Upload failed! – Cannot move to upload folder’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar