Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Can BuddyPress registration be separate from site registration?

• I’d like to allow registered users of my site the OPTION of creating a buddypress profile. Is there anyway I can set up my site so people can register to access the site without utilizing the buddypress features?

Thanks for your help!

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Virtuali
    Participant

@gunju2221

This is an excellent question that I can’t answer, I’ll get the core developer @djpaul

Thanks for the heads-up, @gunju2221 :)

If by “BuddyPress profile”, you mean the fields and groups you have configured in the xprofile settings screen, then yes it’s certainly technically possible because site admins can create new user accounts without having to complete BuddyPress profiles. I’m not sure how to practically do this, however. Would need to try and find out.

Try to see if there’s a user registration widget (i.e. https://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/registration-form-widget/ — not tested) and see if it works and does what you want it to do.

(To clarify, there’s no difference between a “WordPress user” and a “BuddyPress”, both are the same.)

Thanks to both of your for your prompt replies! I’m going to work with the widget and idea you suggested above. I hope you won’t mind if I post back here with my results and further feedback.

I like the widget you recommended above. I’m wondering if you know anything about pagelines plaform. I was thinking, if it offers full buddypress functionality, I could utilize the registration widget along with the “hide primary bar” feature in pagelines. This would make the widget available on only the pages I desire.

If I did this, do you know if there’s a way I can make every page of buddypress invisible to non-logged-in users? I could then simply have the registration and log in page visible to non-users. I’m currently using a privacy widget to hide all pages except login from non-logged-in users. However, I don’t see any way to select specific buddypress pages to choose to make private.

Thanks again so much for your time.

techguy
    Participant

@crashutah

@Mouchoirs Do a search for “Private Buddypress site” or something like that and you’ll find lots of threads on how to redirect non-logged in users to the login or registration page.

@djpaul,
    Seems like you should be able to just replicate the user account creation calls on another page right? This is something I was considering doing for my project. Basically, someone could upload a list of email addresses and names, and it would create the person’s account, email them a temp password and they’d be good to go. Yes, I know WP use to do temp password and took that out, but in this case it might be useful to do.

Yeah, exactly. But I suggested a widget as that’s probably easier for most people to use rather than creating custom page templates.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘Can BuddyPress registration be separate from site registration?’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar