Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Can members use forum without groups?

• ash
    Participant

@sinha

I understand that groups (in BP) are the containers for forums, but can there be a much simpler implementation of Buddypress and the forum? Can one bypass the group creation process and enable members to directly update the forum?

TIA.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Avi M
    Participant

@avim

The only way I know of is by using the Global Forum plugin from BuddyDev http://buddydev.com/plugins/global-forums/

There is a fee and I don’t know if it works with 1.2.6 or if it will work with the upcoming 1.2.7 release.

I loath the forum via groups set up. Our site is made up of mostly non-tech people(heck I’m not all savvy) and way too much stuff ends up getting posted as group updates by mistake.

I’m hoping that with the new bbPress/BuddyPress separate but integrated system this problem will be resolved.

All of that being said I still love BuddyPress and can imagine trying to do what we do without it.

Sofian J. Anom
    Participant

@lightcapturer

techguy
    Participant

@crashutah

You can install BP and bbPress separately and then you don’t have this issue. Just do a search for standalone bbPress install or something and you should find the details to do it.

r-a-y
    Keymaster

@r-a-y

According to JJJ, the new bbPress plugin will work well with BuddyPress 1.3; BP 1.3 is scheduled to come out sometime in the New Year.

Avi M
    Participant

@avim

Very glad to hear this r-a-y!

Matt
    Participant

@mob0222

With the help of r-a-y, we put up a tutorial on how to set up a single bbPress forum without doing a separate install. The drawback is it still uses a Group, and it means you won’t be able to use Groups for other purposes while this is in place. The upside is it’s fully integrating bbPress, so whenever the updated plugin comes out you’ll be in good shape.

How to set up a single bbPress forum with BuddyPress

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘Can members use forum without groups?’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar