Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Unable to Create New Sites

• Lee
    Participant

@diondeville

I installed BuddyPress on a fresh install of WordPress Multi-Site in the root directory of one of my test domains hosted by Hostgator. As soon as I network activated and configured BuddyPress I tried to create a new subdomain site. When I visited the subdomain site I was greeted with a message telling me the site cannot be found on the server. Wild Card subdomains are enabled. I’ve installed many WordPress sites in the past without error. This is the second time I’ve created a BuddyPress site and the second time this issue has arisen. I do know I can manually create the subdomain with cPanel to get it to work. I also know this is not an .htaccess issue because I can replace .htaccess with a blank file and I still have the same problem: WordPress fails to correctly register new sites when BuddyPress is installed.

I’ve now disabled and removed BuddyPress along with the associated BP tables. I’m still now unable to create accessible new subdomain sites. This was not an issue prior to BuddyPress being installed. The sites appear in the backend, I can edit their settings from Network Admin but I cannot access either their frontend or backend components (because, I suspect, the virtual subdomain hasn’t been created).

Has anyone else met this issue and does anyone have a solution that doesn’t involve re-installation of my site and recreation of its database?

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• @mercime
    Keymaster

@mercime

Deactivate BuddyPress. You have to make sure that your WordPress multisite installation is working before activating BuddyPress. To resolve your multisite issues, please post at https://wordpress.org/support/forum/multisite

Lee
    Participant

@diondeville

Thanks for your reply but BuddyPress is deactivated and deleted. The multi-site install worked perfectly prior to the installation of BuddyPress. The whole issue developed due to BuddyPress. It is the second time I’ve installed BuddyPress into a site (different sites) and BuddyPress has caused a multi-site to not properly register new sites within the network.

@mercime
    Keymaster

@mercime

Strange indeed. Troubleshooting …

== I tried to create a new subdomain site. ==

Where did you create this from – the dashboard or in front end (yoursite.com/blogs/create)?

Did you enable blog creation in Network Admin > Network Settings > Registration – with either “Logged in users may register new sites.” or “Both sites and user accounts can be registered.”?

Lee
    Participant

@diondeville

I’ve now attempted to create 8 new sites on the network. All with different names and all created from Network Admin. WordPress creates the tables for the sites but that’s as far as it gets. The table infixes increase by 1 with each site created.

Here’s the error received while updating the network after reinstalling all WordPress files except wp-config.php and .htaccess (not the database):

“Warning! Problem updating http://blog.example.com. Your server may not be able to connect to sites running on it. Error message: Couldn’t resolve host ‘blog.example.com'”

WordPress knows the site is there. I suspect it hasn’t created the virtual host; not sure how to check for that – my eyes are open to learning new things here :)

Both wp-config.php and .htaccess are confirmed as being unaltered by BuddyPress.

I’ve tried creating sites with all plugins deactivated but the result is the same.

Edited to add: site registration is enabled.

If BuddyPress is disabled, and you still cannot register new sites in multisite, you have a WordPress problem. There are people with more expertise in this area, than us, over on the WordPress.org support forums.

Lee
    Participant

@diondeville

Thanks Paul, I do understand that. The WordPress issue was caused by BuddyPress so I thought it might be something you guys here might have come across before. I will post at wordpress.org too.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘Unable to Create New Sites’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar