Categories
Search
Bottom

WP search results page kills BP member widgets

• pcwriter
    Participant

@pcwriter

Hi all!

I just noticed that when using the WP searchform, member widgets on the results page display
    “No one has signed up yet!” (Members widget)
    “There are no users currently online” (Who’s Online widget)
    “There are no recently active members” (Recently Active widget)

Has anyone else encountered this oddity and, if so, care to share a solution if you have one? :-)

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

• Nahum
    Participant

@nahummadrid

this sounds familiar…i think i posted about this a while back somewhere(i’ll look), that the bp loops clashed with the search results page. it’s still the case too, I’ve had to not put any bp widgets on search results page sidebars.

Nahum
    Participant

@nahummadrid

pcwriter
    Participant

@pcwriter

@nuhammadrid

Yeah, I had found both those posts during my search for a solution, but neither of them even hints at one :-(
    Brajesh Singh’s Global search results page does not create this conflict however. I think I’ll post over at BuddyDev to see if he has any bright ideas (he often does) and post back here if I get anywhere. Thanks!

pcwriter
    Participant

@pcwriter

@nuhammadrid

Brajesh just posted a possible solution at BuddyDev:
    http://buddydev.com/forums/topic/wp-search-results-page-kills-bp-member-widgets#post-9892

I’m going to try it tomorrow ‘cuz I’m off to bed right now, zzz……

pcwriter
    Participant

@pcwriter

@nuhammadrid and anyone else experiencing this odd behavior:

Brajesh’s patch works just fine, but it requires a slight modification to bp-core-templatetags.php:

Replace this (line 131):
    `if ( isset( $_REQUEST ) && !empty( $_REQUEST ) )
    $search_terms = $_REQUEST;`

with this:
    `if ( !is_search() && isset( $_REQUEST ) && !empty( $_REQUEST ) )
    $search_terms = $_REQUEST;`

pcwriter
    Participant

@pcwriter

Note that this patch is for BP1.2.9

I have the same bug in BP 1.5.1. To fix it I had to go to bp-members-template.php line 309 to replace the code with what @pcwriter posted. Should a ticket be made?

I’m very sorry, may be I did something wrong, could yoou help me? In this file (bp-members-template.php) I have line 309:

// Pass a filter if ?s= is set.
    if ( is_null( $search_terms ) ) {
    if ( !empty( $_REQUEST ) )
    $search_terms = $_REQUEST;
    else
    $search_terms = false;
    }

Fnd when I tried to change I had an error, could you please tell me exactly what lines to change with what?

Marj Wyatt
    Participant

@marjwyatt

Thanks for this post! I was head-banging on this very issue and, up until the time I realized that the problem was only with the member widgets on search pages last night, I didn’t even know how to begin to troubleshoot it or what to search for.

As @leemour wrote in his reply, the code on line 309 of bp-members-template.php had to be modified at line 309. To get it to work, I replaced:

if ( is_null( $search_terms ) ) {
    		if ( !empty( $_REQUEST['s'] ) )
    			$search_terms = $_REQUEST['s'];
    		else
    			$search_terms = false;
                	}

With:

if ( !is_search() && isset( $_REQUEST ) && !empty( $_REQUEST ) )
            $search_terms = $_REQUEST;

I’m not completely comfortable altering “core code” though. Is this a Buddypress bug? Shouldn’t there be a better solution than hacking core code?

Marj Wyatt
    Participant

@marjwyatt

I guess I spoke to soon. That change breaks the functionality of the dropdown filter. I guess I could take the dropdown out of the theme entirely but I thought it would be useful…

Marj Wyatt
    Participant

@marjwyatt

I went back to the original answer found here
    http://buddydev.com/support/forums/topic/wp-search-results-page-kills-bp-member-widgets/

At this time, I do have the code working so that a wordpress search doesn’t wipe out buddypress member widgets and all the other functionality works on the members directory page too.

Here was my solution:
    In bp-members-template.php, I remarked out lines 305-311 and replaced them with

if ( !is_search()&&isset( $_REQUEST['s'] ) && !empty( $_REQUEST['s'] ) )

So I’m back to the question/concern of 4 or so hours ago. I don’t feel that modifying core code is ever a good idea. Has anyone come up with a better way to solve this that makes it more durable when plugin updates are applied?

Marj Wyatt
    Participant

@marjwyatt

I just upgraded a BuddyPress site to v1.8.1 and did a cursory check to see if this search issue had been resolved yet. It has not, which sort of mystifies me because the problem is more than two years old and requires a modification to BuddyPress core code.

Here is the segment of code that I’ve changed (again) in the bp-members-template.php script found in the plugin’s “core” folder:

// ref link: https://buddypress.org/support/topic/wp-search-results-page-kills-bp-member-widgets/
      // ref link: http://buddydev.com/support/forums/topic/wp-search-results-page-kills-bp-member-widgets/

// Original code on lines 313-318 remarked out in favor of Modified code on lines 320-322
    	//if ( is_null( $search_terms ) ) {
    	//	if ( !empty( $_REQUEST['s'] ) )
    	//		$search_terms = $_REQUEST['s'];
    	//	else
    	//		$search_terms = false;
    	//}

/******* Modified search code *******/
        if ( !is_search()&&isset( $_REQUEST['s'] ) && !empty( $_REQUEST['s'] ) )
        /******* End Modified Search Code *******/

Has anyone on the core development team considered making this into a “hook” that we can remove and rewrite for our child themes?

Marj Wyatt
    Participant

@marjwyatt

Clarification:

This template file is found in the base BuddyPress plugin folder under the bp-members folder.

shanebp

@shanebp

Thanks for sharing your fix.
    To suggest a change to core code, please use
    https://buddypress.trac.wordpress.org/
    to submit a ticket re a bug or enhancement.

The core devs will definitely see it there.

Marj Wyatt
    Participant

@marjwyatt

I keep thinking about this issue, mostly because it “bugs me” to change core files in a major plugin like BuddyPress. I opened a ticket at the recommended location and I can find no record of it so it has most likely been closed.

My question for the group here is this. Would the above modification applied to bp-custom.php overried the core template? If so, can someone tell me what to unhook and re-hook to make that work?

Thanks, in advance, for any replies that are helpful.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The topic ‘WP search results page kills BP member widgets’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar