Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Buddypress upgrade 1.1.2 to 1.2.8

• tmcandle
    Participant

@tmcandle

I have decided my buddypress site will live again (after about a year on mothballs) and began the upgrade process. WPMU 3.1 installed fine but when I tried to upgrade Buddypress from 1.1.2 to 1.2.8 it appeared to update OK but the site was totaly broken. When I went into the plugins list Buddypress was not there nor was the section to configure it. Clicking on the members menu link did not do anything. Do I need to upgrade a number of times to get up to 1.2.8?

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• @mercime
    Keymaster

@mercime

== Buddypress was not there nor was the section to configure it. ==

The Super/Network Admin has a separate new panel in WP 3.1. Click on Network Admin link in upper right hand corner and you’ll find the BuddyPress button in admin menu.

== OK but the site was totaly broken ==

Deactivate all plugins and change theme to default WP theme. Know that many BP plugins and themes from way back 1.1.2 are not compatible with current WP/BP versions.

== Do I need to upgrade a number of times ==

Nope. Just upload BP 1.2.8 and WP 3.1 manually i.e. via FTP or cpanel, etc. Access wp-admin, then go through the upgrade process. Btw, curious why not start from scratch?

Er. I would certainly have stepped it through into 1.2 first, then the latest version. I don’t know if you can go from 1.1 to 1.2.8 in one go.

tmcandle
    Participant

@tmcandle

Thanks – I will give it another try (I backed it out already). I have some people that did work on their blogs that want to use it again so I did not want to clean out their work. related question; is the splogger situation better (thats what killed it for me originally) I would like to moderate any new registration and keep the spammers away.

Thanks again for your help.

tmcandle
    Participant

@tmcandle

Well I think the only problem was the theme. The theme used in 1.1.2 was that parent child thing. When I put the bp-default from 1.2.8 in everything works (so far). However everything REALLY looks bad. so off to themeville. Still wonder about splog signups, do I need to do anything?

@mercime
    Keymaster

@mercime

— everything REALLY looks bad —
    As mentioned above, BP themes used in BP 1.1.2 are no longer compatible with current BP version. When you activated bp-default theme, it should look something like http://testbp.org/ and that looks good and clean.

— Er. I would certainly have stepped it through into 1.2 first, then the latest version —
    @DJPaul, very true. I would have recommended point by point upgrade of BP and WP if it was not “after about a year on mothballs” per @tmcandle ** blush **

pcwriter
    Participant

@pcwriter

“Still wonder about splog signups, do I need to do anything?”

You could try this plugin:
    https://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/moderate-new-blogs/
    Supposed to be compatible up to WP3.0.5 but you can give it a shot.

tmcandle
    Participant

@tmcandle

I just had a pile of hours in that theme and the page was very nice, not really a blog on the home page, but it appears it is not upgradable. I think it was the “BuddyPress Default Home Theme 1.0.3 by Andy Peatling” which used widgets. I guess I can use any wordpress theme so I will hunt around for a similar one.

I appreciate all your help

pcwriter
    Participant

@pcwriter

@tmcandle

You can check out my themes at http://BuddyLite.com.
    Lots of customization options in both free and premium versions: widgetized front page, footer, header and lots more…

tmcandle
    Participant

@tmcandle

Will do – anyone know what it would take to make that theme compliant? I would guess a number of people would benifit from it.

Thanks

pcwriter
    Participant

@pcwriter

@tmcandle

Are you talking about the “BuddyPress Default Home Theme 1.0.3 by Andy Peatling” ? If you are, that theme has long since been updated. Buddypress comes with its own default theme which is now at version 1.2.8… and 1.3 is coming soon to a browser near you!

tmcandle
    Participant

@tmcandle

Yes that is what I am referring to the 103 theme. I used the current buddypress default theme when I did the update (to get the site working), but it appears to be a blogging theme (a more traditional WordPress one) and not a social networking theme like the 103 was. My home page had no blog at all on it and was oriented to widgets that provided resources and the blog area was on another page. I would like to get the 103 theme working in a compliant version but it is not listed in the themes section so I assumed it had not been updated. If you know where there is a compatible version please let me know and I will check it out (it would save me many hours of work).

Thanks

pcwriter
    Participant

@pcwriter

@tmcandle

See my earlier post above.
    A couple of great themes at http://BuddyLite.com
    A Google search would turn up many more.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The topic ‘Buddypress upgrade 1.1.2 to 1.2.8’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar