Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

How to set up Forums/Groups? Where are the basic instructions?

• I can’t seem to find basic instructions on how to set up a buddypress forum or a group. I see nothing anywhere! Its running on the site, but I dont know where to go to set it up.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

• Boone Gorges
    Keymaster

@boonebgorges

https://codex.buddypress.org/getting-started/setting-up-a-new-installation/

Activate forums in a given group at that group’s Admin > Group Settings.

AND THERE’S NO NEED TO SHOUT!!!!!

Sorry, but I keep getting the same response. “Activate it through Groups” There are 0 groups! They don’t give you instructions on how to set it up. I’ve looked everywhere and I see nowhere to set up a group.

Boone Gorges
    Keymaster

@boonebgorges

Once you have activated a BuddyPress-compatible theme, such as the packaged bp-default, you will see a Groups tab at the top of the main page. Click on it. You should then see a Create A Group button at the top of the Groups directory.

Sidenote// Can we please not use caps for post titles, it doesn’t gain you attention just annoys people ;) edited! (second time today)

Thank you. This is all very confusing. Does anyone know how to request a friend? or send a friend request? Do you konw how to add the option for users to create their own blogs? I dont really see any admin option. Perhaps im looking in the wrong place. How do you edit the welcome email subject? Thank you!

r-a-y
    Keymaster

@r-a-y

To add a friend, simply navigate to a member profile you want to become friends with and click on the “Add Friend” button. The requested member gets an email notification asking whether or not to accept the friendship.

Please go and test BuddyPress thoroughly on http://testbp.org, then come back here for any help.

For blogs, you need to enable WordPress’ network mode:
    https://codex.wordpress.org/Create_A_Network

When you have that setup, BuddyPress automatically detects this and adds a blog directory. There should be a button to create a blog on that page as well as on the registration page.

(Sidenote: me thinks we need a BP codex article to setup the blogs component)

To customize the welcome email, try Paul Gibbs’ Welcome Pack plugin:
    https://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/welcome-pack/

@r-a-y (Sidenote: me thinks we need a BP codex article to setup the blogs component) by that do you mean multi site feature? if so is that not really a WP issue and well covered in their codex, with perhaps BP codex just needing to reference that WP page, subscribing to a variation of DRY therein.

Added a footnote to the ‘blog tracking’ list item on https://codex.buddypress.org/getting-started/configure-buddypress-components/

It perhaps also needs reference elsewhere as well.

r-a-y
    Keymaster

@r-a-y

@hnla – I think that works for now.

Thank you @r-a-y But I tried the welcome pack and when I click edit activation email there is no editable field. Only the drop down menu options of all of the email choices. In the tutorial video, there is an editable space to write what you want the email to say. However, when I click it, nothing happens and the only option I have is to save the settings. Perhaps there is another way.

Welcome Pack is probably broken on BP 1.2.6. I’ll update when 1.2.7 comes out.

@djpaul The welcome private message part works. But the emails. don’t. When will 1.2.7 come out? Any alternatives in the meantime? Its strange that we cant just go in and edit the subject

Charles Martel
    Participant

@charlesmartel

Hello,

I am in the process of trying to activate a buddypress forum. I am having a similiar problem.

I have read the above posts and have been trying to create a group as descibed by Boone Gorges. When I go to groups at the top of the page it simply reloads the page with no option at all to create a group. Same story in admin.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

midnightmuse

@midnightmuse

I am having the same issue as Charles- I thought I had imported a buddypress friendly template, and everything looks fine, but it just keeps saying there are no groups to display on the side bar and does not take me to a groups page.

midnightmuse

@midnightmuse

actually, scratch that- the menus show up fine, but nothing is really working- it looks like my plain word press site with extra menus at the top that don’t do anything- did I miss activating something?

Charles Martel
    Participant

@charlesmartel

I found a solution, maybe not the correct one, but it happened to work, even though that was not my intent.

I installed and activated the colors child theme. As soon as I did I was able to create groups and the forum was activated.

Seems like someone may want to look inot the original problem though,

Thanks

Charles

After creating a new group and completing the coniguration to make it public, I cliecked “continue” and got this error.

“Fatal error: Call to undefined method wpdb::WPDB() in /home/name-redacted/public_html/wp-content/plugins/buddypress/bp-forums/bp-forums-bbpress.php on line 144”

Suggestions on how to fix, please?

josephisready

@josephisready

Hello
    I am new in buddypress,
    How to add members in a group in admin side, and there is no registration showing in front end

Andrea Rennick
    Participant

@andrea_r

@josephisready please start a new thread for your issue. most people have probably missed it.

josephisready

@josephisready

@Andrea_r ,Thank You for your concern about my issue
    I resolved this problem,new users are WordPress users ,first time I think there is an option in BP for adding new users, but there is no such option

jedigazelle

@jedigazelle

I seem to be having a problem….a bit more complicated than those here. I have set up buddypress, installed the plugin to make my theme compatible, and everything says its working great. I see all the links in the admin pannel at the top, but if i click ANYTHING, i get a 404 page not found. Click register, 404. Click members, 404…click profile get a 404..any suggestions?

@mercime
    Keymaster

@mercime

doetinchemsnieuws

@doetinchemsnieuws

I have the same problem but don’t get the page create a group (or forum ) after clicking he tabs. Page can’t be found. All setting are correct. prettylinks are set. What do i forget in the installingproces?

doetinchemsnieuws

@doetinchemsnieuws

LAST TRY
    Why doesn’t buddypress work with wordpress as it should and as it is told by the experts.
    pages are not found so who CAN help me?

Andrea Rennick
    Participant

@andrea_r

Please start a new thread so more people can see it.
    Please link to your site.
    Please post the things you *have* tried. Then we can help. :)

It works on new installs when I try it, so it’s something specific to your server.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • The topic ‘How to set up Forums/Groups? Where are the basic instructions?’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar