Categories
Search
Bottom

Mapology – Adding maps for users and groups

• Boris
    Participant

@travel-junkie

Hey all,

about a week ago I started to extract various parts from various custom plugins I’ve written and Mapology appeared.

It adds a Google Map v3 for both the user and groups directory. It uses MarkerClusterer, so it doesn’t matter how many users/groups your site has, the map will always be smooth.

You have to create a profile field, e.g. Current Location, and the plugin will geocode the location from that field and display that information on the profile and on the overview map. It also integrates with the activity stream (uses Google Static Maps).

Then you can chose to add a group overview map. This will add address fields to the group and geocode the location from that.

You can have a look at an example here:
    http://test.shabushabu.eu/

Please note that this plugin will have a price tag attached to it. Likely around EUR 20 net. Included in the price is support.
    It’ll be available within a week on http://shop.shabushabu.eu/

Future fefatures:
    * Custom infowindows (the default infowindows have some restrictions, like a min. width)
    * Routes support (great for travel sites for example)
    * Whatever else we can think of :)

~Boris

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 49 total)
  • Oh well, beaten to it :( :)

Boris
    Participant

@travel-junkie

Ah, you know, the more choice, the better, so go for it :)

Matt Edminster
    Participant

@chiinook

Hey Boris … is it possible to display both profiles and groups on the same map but with distinct pins, on the front page for example?

webart
    Participant

@web_art

Hi boris..This is exactly what I am looking.
    is it possible to change the map view form satellite to map and can we also change the map zoom at admin level? thanks

Boris
    Participant

@travel-junkie

@web_art
    Yup, that’s configurable

@chiinook
    Not yet, but I’ll add it. Good idea!

Psyber
    Participant

@psyber

What about searching the map to find members in a certain area?

What details will the infowindows display? x profile data?

Boris
    Participant

@travel-junkie

Searching will come a bit later and yes, infowindows display xprofile data

webart
    Participant

@web_art

hi travel-junkie,

do you think to use the same view as groups for the members location?
    that we fix the map at user profile. otherwise if you do activity update map disappears.

Boris
    Participant

@travel-junkie

@web_art
    I didn’t really understand your question? The type of map can be set in the backend, if you mean that.

webart
    Participant

@web_art

sorry for the confusion. is it possible to place the members map below the members avatar like in the groups?

Boris
    Participant

@travel-junkie

Ah, ok. The placement of the map is being handled by actions, so by removing the current action and then attaching the map to another action it is possible to move the map wherever your theme provides actions.

landshark
    Participant

@landshark

Oh this is pretty much exactly what I have been waiting for to move ahead with a project Idea I’ve had. Can’t wait until it is available.

Great Work!

landshark
    Participant

@landshark

Hows the map plugin coming along?

Quick question does your events plugin do everything this does plus events? that may be a better route for me instead of just group and member locations.

teebes
    Participant

@teebes

@travel-junkie very interested! Regarding routes support; what are your thoughts about enabling GPX support (import/export). I have a ton of idea’s… :)

paulhastings0
    Participant

@paulhastings0

Cool.

Boris
    Participant

@travel-junkie

@landshark
    This plugin is different than Buddyvents. They work together, cause some of the group functionality (address) overlaps, but they do different things.

@teebes
    Haven’t actually looked into routes that much, so I’m not sure yet how I’ll implement it.

I’ve just added support to filter members by distance from your own location.
    http://test.shabushabu.eu/members/

I’ve had to wipe the current location info, so at the moment you’ll not see much. Also, it obviously only works if the current user has set their location.

gregfielding
    Participant

@gregfielding

Just added my location in your site. Works well.

Would it be possible to search for members within a distance from someplace besides just your location? For example, show everyone within 10 miles of a given city?

teebes
    Participant

@teebes

For routes… Possibly allowing for a small kml or gpx file to be uploaded and displayed per group.

Boris
    Participant

@travel-junkie

@gregfielding
    Not at the moment, but it’s certainly possible.

@teebes
    kml file upload is planned at some stage

gregfielding
    Participant

@gregfielding

Great. Consider this an official feature request.

Wow. I have seriously been looking for this exact stuff. When can I purchase? Discount for buying it early?

Boris
    Participant

@travel-junkie

@en3r0
    No discount for buying early, sorry :) Actually, it’ll be more than the EUR 20 I said earlier. Closer to 50. I know that’s a lot, but I think it’ll be worth it (it’s actually not that much considering the amount of hours I put into it :)

Routes for users will be a feature right from the start, for example, with an awesome ajax-driven UI. It’ll be available on test.shabushabu.eu for testing within a couple weeks (release end of this month). I’ll upload a new version from time to time, so it’ll be worth to check once in a while to see what stage the plugin is at.

gregfielding
    Participant

@gregfielding

Boris,
    1 more request…
    Could you also look into adding RSS feeds for radius search results?

It would open the door to a killer iphone app…

Boris
    Participant

@travel-junkie

@gregfielding
    RSS feeds will be easy. I’ve added it to the features list

Boris
    Participant

@travel-junkie

Alright, the first coding round for routes has finished and the results can be seen here:
    http://test.shabushabu.eu/members/admin/maps/routes/

Creating and displaying works already, editing routes not yet. There’ll also be activity comments for routes at some point, better navigation and loads of other stuff…

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 49 total)
  • The topic ‘Mapology – Adding maps for users and groups’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar