Categories
Search
Bottom

404 pages on child pages in 1.6

• k12onos
    Participant

@k12onos

Hi,

I’m using WP 3.4.1 and was previously on BuddyPress 1.5.7 before updating to 1.6.

I was using child pages for the page structure in BuddyPress

So it’s something like

Activity Stream (parent)
    — Members
    — Groups
    — Forums

and it’s working fine, (though there is a page title bug as mentioned in http://buddypress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/4242 , but this is not the issue now).

After updating to 1.6, I can still access the child pages such as:

blog.com/activity/members
    blog.com/activity/group-forums
    blog.com/activity/groups

But the problem comes when going into anything under the child pages. For example, when going to a member profile in

blog.com/activity/members/username

it shows a 404 page.

Is this a bug? or is there anything that I need to do? I’ve visited my permalink page and clicked save button just to make sure the permalink is refreshed.

I hope someone can advise me on this. Thank you :)

Viewing 17 replies - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

• Tammie Lister

@karmatosed

Just as a ‘sanity check’ have you resaved your pages / relinked them up under settings > BuddyPress?

I’d also suggest you check that you’ve updated your plugins and themes to versions for BuddyPress 1.6 – or if a custom theme checked you’ve got all the correct changes in it.

Yes, so do I. Following the instruction from Internet, I have been tried so many times to modify the file ” httpd.conf ” on Apache server. But failed. I was also try to creat .htaccess file but the computer display to me that can not with “.”,because this type of file name only for system.
    Who could be help me to install the buddypress? Or give me solution details?
    My server: Mac OS X Server(mountain lion)+apache2.2+php5.3 with WordPress 3.4.1+buddypress 1.6+frisco theme.

r-a-y
    Keymaster

@r-a-y

@k12onos – I have confirmed your problem. This bug occurs when you try to use the Activity page as the parent for the Members, Groups and Forums pages.

To temporarily fix this problem, create a new page with a new slug (eg. /community/) and then for your Members, Groups and Forums pages, select this new page as the parent.

Can you confirm that your old behavior worked in BP 1.5?

rodtrent
    Participant

@rodtrent

Same issue here.

My site: http://www.myITforum.com

k12onos
    Participant

@k12onos

@r-a-y

Hi, thanks for your reply.

Actually, this happened really fast. I was just a few hours on 1.5.7 when the new 1.6 update comes in. I can’t remember what exactly happened, but it is working in my local install of a WP 3.4.1 with BP 1.5.7. This is a mirror of what was upgraded into 1.6. Though I haven’t tried to recreate it on a new install because I don’t have the zip installer for 1.5.7.

But, the temporary fix that you mentioned works great, and it fits my initial purpose of having a “slug prefix/base” before the buddypress pages. Thank you for that :)

rodtrent
    Participant

@rodtrent

Both Internet Explorer and Chrome error out, but Firefox gives this bit of info:

The page isn’t redirecting properly

Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete.

rodtrent
    Participant

@rodtrent

@k12onos I don’t understand what fixed it for you.

rodtrent
    Participant

@rodtrent

Holy crap…because of the member access issue, blogging tools like Windows Live Writer cannot log in to post anymore!

k12onos
    Participant

@k12onos

@rodtrent

Throw out the idea of having a page structure like this:

Activity Stream (parent)
    – Members
    – Groups
    – Forums

Instead, use a ‘dummy’ page or whatever you call it as the parent page:

Dummy page (parent)
    – Activity Stream
    – Members
    – Groups
    – Forums

The idea is to assign the dummy page with your desired base slug.

Though, you might notice that if you open the dummy page you’re left out with an empty page. Therefore if you want you can also redirect the dummy page to Activity Stream page so that the dummy page will be inaccessible.

At least at the moment, this is better than having to deal with the 404 pages right :)

rodtrent
    Participant

@rodtrent

Well, huh. I already do use a dummy page and am having the issue. Those top pages work fine, its once you click to go beyond the top pages (activity stream, members, groups, forums) is when the 404 and unending redirection error exhibits.

r-a-y
    Keymaster

@r-a-y

@k12onos – The .zip download for BP 1.5.7 can be found here:
    https://downloads.wordpress.org/plugin/buddypress.1.5.7.zip

Do not install this on top of BP 1.6. Please try duplicating your problem on a fresh install.

On my local testing on both BP 1.5.7 and BP 1.6, I was able to duplicate your problem. But I believe, the intention was that you shouldn’t nest a component page within a component page and you should follow the method I suggested by creating a “dummy page” as you say.

Let me know.

@rodtrent – I am unable to duplicate your problem. If you have a backup, I suggest reverting back to that and retry your upgrade by following these instructions:

Upgrading to 1.6

rodtrent
    Participant

@rodtrent

@r-a-y I’ll give it a shot, however, there are others posting here to the forums with the same issue as me — so it *can* be duplicated.

rodtrent
    Participant

@rodtrent

Sorry…didn’t work.

Here’s the primary error that keeps coming up.

This webpage has a redirect loop
    The webpage at http://myitforum.com/myitforumwp/community/groups/tech-books/ has resulted in too many redirects. Clearing your cookies for this site or allowing third-party cookies may fix the problem. If not, it is possibly a server configuration issue and not a problem with your computer.
    Here are some suggestions:
    Reload this webpage later.
    Learn more about this problem.
    Error 310 (net::ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS): There were too many redirects.

r-a-y
    Keymaster

@r-a-y

@rodtrent – Disable all 3rd-party plugins you are using except BuddyPress – this includes JetPack, BP Gallery, etc. Next, change your theme to the bp-default theme. Now, retry your BP pages. Does your problem still occur?

rodtrent
    Participant

@rodtrent

Yes…problem still occurs, even after disabling all plugs and switching themes.

Strange issue. The WLW is attributed to something with the xmlrpc.php file, and so is the JetPack connection issue. So, I assume, based on that, there’s a problem with looping through user accounts, or accessing user accounts, when displaying groups/members/forums pages.

rodtrent
    Participant

@rodtrent

Incidentally, the WebStory posting tool is able to post just fine (because it doesn’t use the xmlrpc to post). WLW just bombs.

Chris
    Participant

@sainsbury

@k12onos @r-a-y thanks so much for the fix

Viewing 17 replies - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • The topic ‘404 pages on child pages in 1.6’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar