Skip to:

bp_username_compatibility_mode working great everywhere other than in a forum topic

  • Craig


    Hi all.

    I am using WP 3.0.1 and Buddypress 1.2.6 along with bbpress installed from the Buddypress menu.

    All is working great. I have ironed a few issues out along the way, mainly with usernames as I am also using the WP-FB-AutoConnect plugin for Facebook user registrations and logins.

    To solve my problems, I added the following to my wp-config.php file.


    This removed any symbols, spaces, etc ported over from Facebook registrations great and all links seem to work, apart from one:

    Links to a user on the main forum thread pages (both via their avatar and username) are incorrect! On this page, the usernames that have been changed by the above mod are showing with symbols in them, and therefore do not work when clicked!

    This only happens on the actual thread page, and not on the group forums page under the ‘Latest poster’ column.

    Can anyone point me in the right direction as to how to fix this at all? Or where to look?

    Just to add, I have also noticed that when on the forum thread page, that any links in the ‘Recently Active Member Avatars’ widget also shows the incorrect username in the URL, however if you navigate away from the page, it then goes pack to the correct one.

    It’s as though the bit of code is having an affect everywhere except this one place.

    Thanks for any help!

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • IIRC – the bbpress tables store the username in another col (last_poster, topic_poster – or something like that) – this might be causing the issue.



    I’ve had a look at the tables, and the users in question had their ‘user_nicename’ as their name WITH the weird characters. However this still only seems to affect the users links in the forum topic view and nowhere else on the site.

    It would be good if there could be some sort of clean up process when storing the username in the first place to remove any non alpha characters.

    I have modified the ‘user_nicename’ manually in phpmyadmin and it has resolved the issue for that one user. Obviously this is not an ideal solution though, even though it is rare that any usernames from Facebook do contain weird characters.

    Thanks for your input :)



    I managed to get around this…

    It seems WP and BP does not like anything other than alpha characters. So I contacted the creator of the WP-FB-Autoconnect plugin, and he modified the code to strip out any non alpha characters when creating usernames. Works great now and no need to use the bp_username_compatibility_mode.


Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The topic ‘bp_username_compatibility_mode working great everywhere other than in a forum topic’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar