[Resolved] How? Multiple BuddyPress sites with some shared users
First: Big thanks to the developers and the community that make this software available.
Running: WordPress 3.4.1, BuddyPress 1.6.1, Apache/2.2.22 (Ubuntu), fresh install
Desired setup: I am at an institute with 5 groups. Some users are shared between the groups. I have made virtual hosts so each group has a separate domain (with separate directories) and there is one domain for the institute. I would like to have a private BuddyPress installation for the entire institute. Then I would also like to have private BuddyPress installations for each group of which members are selected from the institute membership.
What I have managed so far:
– Separate WordPress installations for each group.
– These installations share the same database, but are distinguished by having different prefixes for the tables.
– All share the same user table (like in this example: http://www.steelfrog.com/share-user-database-tables-between-two-wordpress-installations/)
– Enable multisites on all the different installations of WordPress
– I have successful division of users, if you aren’t a user on one site, you can’t login and edit.
BuddyPress installations then show all users, not just users of the specific site.
And now I have reached the end of my technical expertise. I suspect the next step would be to find out how BuddyPress determines users (use everyone in the user table?), and filter it so that only users of the site are displayed. And how do I determine if they are users of the site?
Then to make the separate sites private, I would use something like http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/buddypress-private-community/ for privacy, which as I can tell checks if the user is logged in. This is not sufficient, I need to check if the user is logged in, and also an accepted member of the site.
I don’t really know what to do next and if it is a 2 hour job or a 2 month one (or longer…)
Another approach I had previously tried (and failed with) was:
– Install WordPress and enable multisite
– Install Networks for WordPress
– Create the different networks
– Install BuddyPress multinetwork plugin
– Install BuddyPress and activate on each subnetwork
At this point each BuddyPress install added all current sites from all networks and all users from all existing networks. And I couldn’t get privacy to work at all.
So if anyone has any knowledge or experience to add I would greatly appreciate the help. And maybe with my notes, someone else might get further than me because I’ve seen many people are interested in similar setups.
- The topic ‘[Resolved] How? Multiple BuddyPress sites with some shared users’ is closed to new replies.