BuddyPress’s Extended Profiles component provides you the flexibility to create the types of profile fields that are relevant and important to your community, and allows you to group those fields together into relative sections. The following profile field types are available by default (plugins can add others):
- Text Box
- Multiline Text Area
- Radio Buttons
- Check Boxes
- Drop-down Selector
- Multi Selector
- Date Selector
In addition to having flexible field types, field visibility can be adjusted as well in the following ways:
- You pick which fields have what default visibility:
- Only Me
- All Members
- My Friends (if the Friends component is active)
- You pick whether your members are able to adjust field visibility:
- Let members change this field’s visibility
- Enforce the default visibility for all members
Extended Profiles integrate with other BuddyPress components in the following ways:
- When the Activity Stream component is active, it will log when a members profile is updated.
- When the Settings component is active, it will allow profile field visibility to be adjusted in a central location.
- Certain profile field output is made clickable, allowing for easy member searches.