Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Add country list in extended profile

• I would like to add country in profile where the user can choose a country and a new dropdown for cities will show up. Is it possible?

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• OC2PS
    Participant

@sooskriszta

+1

There should be an “Address” field type

abysshorror

@abysshorror

+1

OC2PS
    Participant

@sooskriszta

Bump

OC2PS
    Participant

@sooskriszta

Bump!

Yes it’s possible, code it up I’m sure many will be grateful.

These types of posts /threads should be made in ‘Requests & Feedback’ not in ‘How To & Troubleshooting’

Alternatively create a trac ticket marked as ‘enhancement’ or ‘feature’ and put the request there.

OC2PS
    Participant

@sooskriszta

OC2PS
    Participant

@sooskriszta

@DJPaul I know you have closed the ticket as won’t fix.

However, I’d invite you to consider this:

I think the functionality that we are after is “conditional” or “nested” fields. i.e. a list of states loading based on country selected.

The data (countries/states/cities/etc) need not necessarily be packaged with BuddyPress….maybe admins can load their own lists via csv etc…what’s important is the BEHAVIOR of the field…loading lists for a sub-field based on the value chosen for a field…

Come to think of it, conditional/nested fields could have many more applications than just addresses.

evo252
    Participant

@evo252

Hi,

Is there something new for this project? I think it would be a very great feature for big organizations that don’t want to display a long list of cities.

danbpfr
    Participant

@chouf1

Hi@evo252,

in the BP 1.0 branch there was a CSV based country field in xprofile.
    https://buddypress.trac.wordpress.org/browser/branches?order=name#1.0/bp-xprofile/prebuilt-fields

Take a look in the code and see if you can build something for 1.6.4 or 1.7.

Since 2008, Google Map became a must have. And IMO it’s a better geoloc tool as a simple city/country dropdown witch only prevent end users from having to write themselves the name of their city and their country….
    Doing this is much more complicated as you think. Over 160 countries on earth and millions of cities. What kind of server do you need to just store these informations and to make them work together ?

Typing country and city is the same effort as typing name and first name for the end user. Let them write and use something powerfull, existent and easy to use and show AND effort less for you too.

Spare your time and made it simple so far ! 😉
    Give this plugin a try: https://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/bp-user-profile-map/

Or search another map plugin : https://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/search.php?q=map

evo252
    Participant

@evo252

Chouf1,

Merci pour ta réponse ! Je suis désolé, je continue en Français mais ça sera plus simple pour moi de comprendre et d’expliquer ma problématique… En fait, tu me conseilles d’installer BP User Profile Map (ce que j’ai fait, je passais avant par une solution codée à la main qui nécessitait une clé pour l’API de GG Maps donc je vais abandonner ça) et de laisser les utilisateurs rentrer eux-même leur pays manuellement lors de l’inscription ou de l’édition de leur profil ?

Cette solution m’a effectivement l’air séduisante mais pour les villes surtout, qui sont effectivement impossibles à toutes recenser. Penses-tu qu’il soit possible de dire au plugin de prendre en compte deux profile fields au lieu d’un (Ville + Pays) ? De manière à ce qu’il localise encore mieux, et pour éviter les erreurs (il existe des villes qui ont le même nom dans des pays différents).

Pour l’intégration d’une liste de pays dans BuddyPress, j’ai suivi le process décrit ici :
    https://buddypress.org/support/topic/how-to-make-a-country-drop-down-list-in-profile-field/#post-147697

J’en suis à l’étape de copier coller une liste des pays du monde dans mon fichier CSV extrait de ma BDD, mais je bloque sur les ID par pays : dois-je les étendre simplement sous Excel ? J’ai peur en faisant ça de me retrouver avec un ID de pays identique à un ID d’autre chose de mon WordPress (ID de post, ID de catégorie ou autre)… ça serait problématique ?

Merci pour ton aide et désolé pour l’emploi du Français.

danbpfr
    Participant

@chouf1

Y’a pas de mal mais c’est malvenu ici de s’exprimer autrement qu’en anglais. RdV sur bp-fr.net pour continuer la discussion en français.

As @evo252 speaks french, i answered in french. We’ll continue this discussion on the french BP community site.

Sorry for this. 😉

@mercime
    Keymaster

@mercime

@chouf1 no problem. Thanks for helping out here at BPorg. Much appreciated 🙂

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The topic ‘Add country list in extended profile’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar