This release includes a substantial number of core code improvements as well as an array of useful new features.
Some highlights of this version are:
- One click internal bbPress forum integration allowing you to set up group forums in less than a minute.
- A global forum directory (example) allowing you to easily browse public facing forum posts regardless of the group they are attached to.
- Completely re-written theme handling. One theme now controls all of your installation. No hidden HTML, everything is in the template ready for you to skin.
- Easily create themes that are upgraded automatically when BuddyPress is updated.
- Total site admin control of all content within an installation. Edit user’s profiles, update avatars, mark users as spammers, manage all groups, delete site activity entries.
- Activity streams everywhere. Activity streams can be filtered allowing for feature specific activity streams or adding an activity stream to your custom plugin.
- A new status updates feature is included in BuddyPress 1.1. Actions and filters are included to allow plugin developers to hook into any external service.
- An awesome group extension API allowing developers to easily extend groups and add completely new features.
If you’re starting with a brand new installation, check out the new setting up a new installation help guide. If you’re upgrading from a previous version of BuddyPress, please make sure you read the upgrading from 1.0.x help guide before upgrading. There is a specific help guide on upgrading your 1.0.x custom theme to 1.1.
I’d like to say a big thank you to everyone from the community who has helped in reporting problems, submitting bugs, writing patches and answering support queries. Without your help BuddyPress would not have the thriving community and development momentum it has today.
A special thanks to the following developers who submitted multiple bug reports and patches and also spent countless hours in IRC (#buddypress-dev) talking through issues:
Happy BuddyPress-ing, and onwards to version 1.2!