Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

group membership: double membership bug?

• 3sixty
    Participant

@3sixty

One of my group members somehow has TWO entries for his name in the group’s Members list. I wrote him this:

“It looks like you’re in this group twice. I was going to try to delete one of you, but it looks like the only option is “Kick and Ban”. … So let me know when you see this, and I’ll attempt to delete one instance of you in this forum. Just saying in case […]”

He wrote back:

“I think you invited me to join. Then when I went to the page, the invitation wasn’t there, so I requested membership. Before you accepted my request, I realized that I could accept your original invitation by following the link from the e-mail. Then you accepted my request to join. Voila! Double membership! Now do I get 2 votes?”

Deets:

1. Which version of WP/MU are you running? 2.9.2

2. Did you install WP/MU as a directory or subdomain install? subdomain

3. If a directory install, is it in root or in a subdirectory? n/a

4. Did you upgraded from a previous version of WP/MU? If so, from which version? hmm… 1.1 I think

5. Was WP/MU functioning properly before installing/upgrading BuddyPress (BP)? e.g. permalinks, creating a new post, commenting. YES

6. Which version of BP are you running? 1.2.1

7. Did you upgraded from a previous version of BP? If so, from which version? hmm… 1.1 I think (again)

8. Do you have any plugins other than BuddyPress installed and activated? yep. several, including BP Links and BP Classifieds

9. Are you using the standard BuddyPress themes or customized themes? child theme closely based on the new 1.2.1 theme

10. Have you modified the core files in any way? NO!! :)

11. Do you have any custom functions in bp-custom.php? no. I have a replacement for bp_post_author_avatar() that is in the child theme’s functions.php file

12. If running bbPress, which version? Or did your BuddyPress install come with a copy of bbPress built-in? built in

13. Please provide a list of any errors in your server’s log files. nothing special

14. Which company provides your hosting? site5

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Mark
    Participant

@markschafer

I’ve got the same problem with duplicate group members. Since the group in question has 2 administrators I’m wondering if BOTH group admins received and accepted requests resulting in 2 instances of the same members in the group. There should be some test to see if a user is already a group member but that doesn’t seem to be the case. The link below is another example of the same issue. I’m running BP 1.2.3, WPMU 2.9.1 with subdomains.

https://buddypress.org/forums/topic/duplicate-member-entries-in-group-members-list

If I don’t hear any possible causes/solutions, I’ll report this as a bug.

3sixty
    Participant

@3sixty

Glad you found this and thanks for updating TRAC!

@3sixty: I experienced exactly the same misbehaviour in my blog = invitation sent, membership requested by the blog member, confirmed twice somehow and… boing, 2 memberships of the same member in a single group.
    Is it still there in your blog or could you fix it?

I wonder if it was sufficient to simply delete the doubled/second group-member-relation entry from the MySQL wp_bp_groups_members table? Or does this have any negative side effects?
    A more gentle alternative could be to set the group_id field of this entry to a non-existing group 999 or so. Shouldn’t do any harm unless the 999th group is created and an uninvited member pops out of nowhere…

Cheers,
    Hans

To whom it may concern: I solved the issue by manipulating (not deleting) the doubled DB entry. In the wp_bp_groups_members table, I manually set both the group_id and user_id fields to high values that have no corresponding real equivalents (group, user). Think this now orphaned row won’t do any harm and as far as I can see, the searches like “groups of this user” or “users of this group” result in what I want now.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘group membership: double membership bug?’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar