Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Modifying the Admin bar when using WPtouch 1.9.9.8 Plugin

• Hey everyone,

I’m using the WPtouch 1.9.9.8 plugin along with BuddyPress 1.2.3 and I’m psyched to say that it works almost perfectly! (WPtouch creates a mobile-friendly version of your WP website automatically, by detecting the visitor’s browser.)

The only problem is cosmetic: At the bottom of the mobile version, you get a list of links from the admin bar. For example:

– My Account
    – Activity
    – Personal
    – Groups
    – Favorites

…and so on. It appears after the footer on the mobile version of the website, and it looks like crap. To see exactly what I mean, use your iPhone or Android to visit: http://outgoinggames.com/ and scroll to the bottom.

Can anyone offer up a solution that would prevent this from happening?

This might require a WPtouch modification, but will almost certainly require a BuddyPress theme modification, where the call for the admin bar is enclosed in an IF statement contingent upon whether the mobile version of the site is being viewed…

Thanks in advance,

Shaun

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• r-a-y
    Keymaster

@r-a-y

It’s because the WPTouch theme doesn’t add the styles from the default BP theme.

I’m looking at *perhaps* creating an add-on template pack for WPTouch. Will see.

@r-a-y: It’d be way cooler if ya did, man… :-)

r-a-y
    Keymaster

@r-a-y

@nightlygigs – I’m probably not going to be working on this right away. I’d check out @modemlooper ‘s BuddiPhone theme – which is close to production status.

Check out the following group dedicated to iPhone BP themes:
    https://buddypress.org/community/groups/iphone-ipad-themes/

@r-a-y: You rock! Thanks for the help…

modemlooper

@modemlooper

WPTouch is for a blog / comment system only. It is not a mobile theme for a social network or a forum. BuddiPhone is not really a mobile version of a site per se but a theme that mimics a native iPhone application. Think Facebook iPhone app compared to the actual Facebook website. It doesn’t include everything, it includes what you need in a streamlined way to get the important content.

I’ve had to start from scratch a few times and rethink the navigation because the current Buddypress workflow doesn’t work on a mobile at all. It’s just too complex for a small screen. So I’ve had to break it apart and write “screens” that give you an easy to read and navigable system.

r-a-y
    Keymaster

@r-a-y

WPTouch is a plugin, but it includes mobile themes, @modemlooper.

I just tried adding some of the BP templates like /activity/ etc. in the WP Touch theme, and it works.
    Obviously, it needs some cleaning up to make it look pretty on mobiles! But try it yourself.

modemlooper

@modemlooper

I’ve already looked it over. What my statement above is saying is that BuddiPhone is not a “mobile” theme for for a Buddypress network in the general sense. It’s more like an application. You’ll understand more when I get a preview up.

kartun9ja
    Participant

@kartun9ja

gud day to all my buddies,..
    i was going through the post, when will buddypress have a mobile version….. i can give out lot of open source script that i know for mobile version……

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘Modifying the Admin bar when using WPtouch 1.9.9.8 Plugin’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar