Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

BuddyPress Like

• Alex
    Participant

@hempsworth

I’ve just submitted my first plugin to the WP Plugin repo, it adds the ability for users to ‘like’ activities on a users stream.

Still in a basic state, I’m going to be updating it over the coming days to include many other social areas of BuddyPress.

Download it now and give it a go!

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 77 total)

• paulhastings0
    Participant

@paulhastings0

That’s awesome! Once we upgrade to 1.2 we’ll definitely give it a spin on our site.

r-a-y
    Keymaster

@r-a-y

Hey Hempsworth, looks good!

But, do you think it would have made more sense to take advantage of BP’s already-available favorite button?

D Cartwright
    Participant

@aekeron

This looks very interesting indeed:)

xp02ed
    Participant

@xp02ed

awesome work mate, tested it without an issue of install

Using wordpress 2.9 + BP 1.2

modemlooper

@modemlooper

This would be good if it notified the poster of content that you liked something. The favorite to me is more for a user to bookmark content.

Alex
    Participant

@hempsworth

I’ve just put out a new version which allows you to view who else has liked it.

@modemlooper: I will be building in notifications next, but it looks like I have to make the plugin a full blown component to leverage the notifications functionality… :S

Alex
    Participant

@hempsworth

Unfortunately you will have to delete the old data from wp_bp_activity_meta and wp_usermeta before installing the new version. Sorry guys, it’s so new I don’t have an upgrade routine!

You can do this using phpMyAdmin or similar.

Grab the new version here: http://www.alexhemptonsmith.com/downloads/bp-like.zip

roydeanjr
    Participant

@roydeanjr

Since you know about the activity stream, is it possible you could help answer a question?

My fresh install of wp + bp (all latest releases) does not succeed in writing activity records. Running on Win2k8, MySQL 5.1.4.2, php 5.2.11, IIS 7. Any ideas?

xp02ed
    Participant

@xp02ed

did the update and when u click on “view likes” nothing happens. using default BP 1.2 theme

xp02ed
    Participant

@xp02ed

looks like it doesnt work on Firefox but works on IE.

Css issues with viewing likes for activities like 2 people becomes friends

Andy Peatling
    Keymaster

@apeatling

Make sure you upload this to the plugin repository! :)

finni3
    Participant

@finni3

finni3 *likes this*!

Cool. I could be wrong but I think that on Facebook the idea of “like” is not just to tell someone you like something… but to also modify the algorithm on the news feed. That’s getting really complex though… and would be irrelevant to BuddyPress since BuddyPress shows ALL activity anyway. Well… you can filter it of course… but there is no algorithm that decides that it thinks you might be most interested in.

Rocio Valdivia
    Participant

@_dorsvenabili

Good plugin Hempsworth!!!!, I’m going to try it right now :D

Alex
    Participant

@hempsworth

The plugin is now hosted over on the WP.org plugins directory, please remove any data the plugin may have saved in ‘wp_bp_activity_meta’ or ‘wp_usermeta’ before installing. You won’t have to do this again, as I have DB upgrade methods in place.

I’ll be able to push updates to y’all using the Plugin Installer now, or if you’re feeling adventurous checkout the SVN repo into your plugins directory and run off trunk.

Enjoy :)

Windhamdavid
    Participant

@windhamdavid

i’m getting a strange error on wp trunk & bp trunk ~ screenshot

I have multi site enabled, revisions from this morning… upon clicking ‘like’, seems to be an endless spinning.gif and then my default apache page is called into a frame of sorts upon hovering over any href’d link on the default apache page.

Andy Peatling
    Keymaster

@apeatling

This doesn’t work for me. It’s because you are using AJAX to post to / which does not work for installations that are not in the root.

You need to make it post to the variable ajaxurl which will post to the correct location regardless of where WP is installed.

Also – please read this: :)

https://buddypress.org/forums/topic/plugin-devs-please-read

xp02ed
    Participant

@xp02ed

a community that might get 10+ people like an item might be an issue.

trying to figure out how to display the items in ul li format.

and may limit it to display later on?

Alex
    Participant

@hempsworth

Plugin’s been updated to fix all known bugs, now at 0.0.3.

Download or update to the latest version.

Windhamdavid
    Participant

@windhamdavid

Very Nice work Hempsworth, maybe now you’ll get requests for a dislike button. ;)

Alex
    Participant

@hempsworth

@xp02ed: Yep, I’ve had this thought too and I’m working on improving the list of likers..

Alex
    Participant

@hempsworth

I’m thinking about only showing the names of other friends who have liked it, and saying “and 3 others” for the remaining likers.. Thoughts?

Also, I’m working on notifications at the moment; are there any other feature requests from you guys?

Alex
    Participant

@hempsworth

I’m thinking about only showing the names of other friends who have liked it, and saying “and 3 others” for the remaining likers.. Thoughts?

Also, I’m working on notifications at the moment; are there any other feature requests from you guys?

xp02ed
    Participant

@xp02ed

@Hempsworth awesome, i guess maybing just use a variable on the file which customers can just define the amount they want to show?

rbl
    Participant

@rbl

@Hempsworth: first of all, great job! The plugin is amazing! Thanks for sharing!

I have 1 feature request: I would like to be able to choose what activities the members are allowed to like. For example: they can only like forum posts and group creations.

Regarding limiting the likers to just friends, as long as you make it an option, I bet there’s a lot of people who might find that useful.

I definitely see 4 different usage scenarios for this:

1 – “open”: you can see the name of everyone who liked it;

2 – “mixed”: you can only see the names of your friends (” and x others” just like your example above);

3 – “closed”: you can only see numbers (total of people who like it)

4 – “private mode” (more a privacy setting than a real scenario): no one sees what you like except you.

Ricardo

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 77 total)
  • The topic ‘BuddyPress Like’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar