Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

new version of BuddyPress Rate Forum Posts

• Dwenaus
    Participant

@dwenaus

Just a heads up that there is a new version of BuddyPress Rate Forum Posts. This version mainly adds admin options, so if you make customizations to the variables, future upgrades won’t erase them. I also added the karma points in the member view.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 62 total)

• snark
    Participant

@snark

Great plugin, @Dwenaus ! I just upgraded, and it’s working fine, but you mention “admin options” and the Readme says, “admin screen to change karma levels, and post highligting [sic] and diminishing values”, but I can’t seem to find the admin options. Is there a admin page in the WP backend, or just a config file. Thanks.

modemlooper

@modemlooper

I suggest the profile Post Rating: be placed under the avatar. It’s a bit wonky and hidden where its at.

snark
    Participant

@snark

@Dwenaus Nevermind, I just fount the Rate Forum Posts settings under the Buddypress menu in the WP back-end. That seems like a natural place to me to put setting for Buddypress plugins, but this is the first one I’ve installed to do that — the other’s I’ve tried all add their specific settings under the general Settings area. Thanks again for the great work.

epsi
    Participant

@epsi

I like to try any plugin and, hei…

@Dwenaus
    , this Rate Forum Posts plugin looks cool.

It is fine in my localhost but I found this error in live site

http://iluni-ftui.org/groups/situs-iluni/forum/

WordPress database error You have an error in your SQL syntax;

check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near

‘WHERE object_type = ‘bb_post’ AND meta_key = ‘rfp_rating’ AND object_id = 1′ at line 1 for query

SELECT meta_value FROM WHERE object_type = ‘bb_post’ AND meta_key = ‘rfp_rating’ AND object_id = 1

made by require, require_once, do_action, call_user_func_array, bp_core_do_catch_uri, load_template, require_once, locate_template, load_template, require_once, do_action, call_user_func_array, rfp_after_topic_title, rfp_get_post_rating_signed, rfp_get_post_rating

It solved by adding code below in rate.inc.php

require_once ABSPATH.’bb-config.php’;

global $bb_table_prefix, $bb_meta_table;

$bb_meta_table = $bb_table_prefix . ‘meta’;

Thanks for the plugin.

Now it works. But since I’m still a WP noob.

I don’t know if it is politically correct.

r-a-y
    Keymaster

@r-a-y

@Dwenaus

I recently came across a problem similar to @etiviti (rich!)’s.

In rate.php on line 3, you believe that bb-config.php will always reside in the root directory, but if you’re using an external bbPress integration, this won’t be the case.

The easy way to fix this is to grab the bb config location using:

get_site_option('bb-config-location');

This would be for MU, not sure where the bb-config-location will be in standard WP.

[EDIT]

etiviti (rich!) already provided the solution!

Declare the global $bp and use $bp->site_options[‘bb-config-location’];

global $bp;
    require_once($bp->site_options['bb-config-location']);

Dwenaus
    Participant

@dwenaus

sounds good to me. I’ll make that change and post an update.

I’m working heavily on the group email notifications plugin now, so this change may not happen for a bit. but it will be exactly as you describe in the second example.

Dwenaus
    Participant

@dwenaus

I’ve made the changes mentioned above. so that if you have a bbpress install at a different location, the plugin will work.

I’ve added the ability to hide karma points. it is accessed in the admin.

I also noticed a bug with how the karma rating was showing up on the members page and fixed it.

the new version is 1.2 and should be visible here momentarily: https://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/buddypress-rate-forum-posts/

enjoy.

Dwenaus
    Participant

@dwenaus

@epsi @r-a-y an update has been made.

r-a-y
    Keymaster

@r-a-y

@dweanus

Just checked out the latest update, looks like you’re using ABSPATH for bb-config.php.

Unless I’m wrong, I don’t think that will fix the problem for external bbPress installs.

I see you commented out the bb-config-location line, but you didn’t define global $bp.

Also, mrjarbenne had a problem with the new version:

https://buddypress.org/forums/topic/rate-forum-posts-plugin-error

mrjarbenne
    Participant

@mrjarbenne

I’ll post the problem here too. Thanks @r-a-y for pointing me in the direction of this forum topic.

When I try to rate forum posts using this plugin https://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/buddypress-rate-forum-posts/ I get this error message popping up across the forum post.

<b>Warning</b>: require_once(/usr/home/litcirc/public_html/bb-config.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in <b>/usr/home/litcirc/public_html/wp-content/plugins/buddypress-rate-forum-posts/rate.php</b> on line <b>5</b>

Line 5 in rate.php is “require_once ABSPATH . ‘bb-config.php’;”

I’m out of my element here. Is the plugin looking for bb-config.php and cannot find it? according to the dashboard bbpress is configured correctly.

Any thoughts?

Dwenaus
    Participant

@dwenaus

@r-a-y and @mrjarbenne thanks for the quick feedback. I fixed it to the commented out code and removed the abspath. The $bp global is not necessary because the scope of that file is already global (I guess – and it works :)

I posted a new version 1.2.1

r-a-y
    Keymaster

@r-a-y

Cool! Glad it works without the global ;)

modemlooper

@modemlooper

Can you please wrap the profile header output in a div with a class? I keep doing this and it gets knocked off on every update.

Thanks!

mrjarbenne
    Participant

@mrjarbenne

@dwenaus. 1.2.1 fixed it up for me. Thanks for the quick support.

Dwenaus
    Participant

@dwenaus

@Modemlooper – I changed line 110 to the line below. so you can change your css class to rfp-member-profile-karma and it should be fine in the next update.

echo '<div class="rfp-member-profile-karma">' . get_option( 'rfp_karma_label' ) . rfp_poster_karma( $relative_karma ) . '</div>';

irfun4ever
    Participant

@irfun4ever

one interesting thing is we can give karma to ourselfs over and over

it means people can vote them self, they can give karma to themself. how we can fix it?

snark
    Participant

@snark

@dweanus — I have noticed an error that has cropped up using Rate Forum Posts: a user’s karma display gets stuck at some arbitrary number and stops incrementing. However, when you click on “Groups” tab sub-menu in the user profile — /members/username/groups/ — and only that page, the correct karma value is displayed. You can see it in action on wordlab.com, where my (“snark”) karma value is stuck at 18p — http://www.wordlab.com/members/snark/activity/ — except on the Groups sub-page, where it shows the correct value of 157p — http://www.wordlab.com/members/snark/groups/. I tried deactivating and re-activating the plugin, but the problem persisted.

Dwenaus
    Participant

@dwenaus

@snark I’ve fixed that bug.

I also upgraded the plugin to version 1.3 and added the ability in the admin to change the karma calculation type. You can show the total karma points, the average karma points per post, or two mixed values in between.

The default karma points will probably double for all users with the default settings. I you want them back to the way they were, go to admin and choose the third karma calculation value.

@irfun4ever only the super admin can do that, even group admins cannot.

snark
    Participant

@snark

Thanks @dweanus, that solved the problem. However, I just noticed a new one crop up: In the Forum topics list view, a topic’s rating number is not showing up in the Ratings column on any of the sub-pages, only on the first page. You can see at Wordlab — http://www.wordlab.com/forums/ — you might see a couple topics on the first page with ratings listed in the Ratings column, but if you click on the subsequent pages, you won’t see any, even though some topics have been rated.

Dwenaus
    Participant

@dwenaus

I’ll look into that one. seems like ajax is using a different route, so need to find out how it’s working.

Inactive

Hi Dwenaus

I saw in an earlier post someone asked about extending your plugin to the comments on ‘posts’. You mentioned that it would be reinventing the wheel a little :o)

but….

I am totally sold on your Karma approach to help our community self moderate, and was wondering what’s involved in extending it to cover posts, and what would it take to convince you to extend it :o)

Thanks!

Warren

Inactive

Hi Dwenaus

I saw in an earlier post someone asked about extending your plugin to the comments on ‘posts’. You mentioned that it would be reinventing the wheel a little :o)

but….

I am totally sold on your Karma approach to help our community self moderate, and was wondering what’s involved in extending it to cover posts, and what would it take to convince you to extend it :o)

Thanks!

Warren

Dwenaus
    Participant

@dwenaus

I’ve posted a request for funding this plugin extension here: https://buddypress.org/forums/topic/extending-buddypress-rate-forum-posts-to-rate-blog-posts. Hopefully there are others that want this enough to make a contribution and make it happen.

Dwenaus
    Participant

@dwenaus

I’ve posted a request for funding this plugin extension here: https://buddypress.org/forums/topic/extending-buddypress-rate-forum-posts-to-rate-blog-posts. Hopefully there are others that want this enough to make a contribution and make it happen.

r-a-y
    Keymaster

@r-a-y

@dwenaus

I think it would make sense if there was a unified karma plugin. Forums are nice, but that’s only really one component of BP. I also know this means a lot more work on your part.

I don’t know what you have planned for blog post karma, but I’m guessing at some point, you’d need the thumbs up/down voting block across all blogs on a WPMU install, so it’d have to be a plugin that is activated site-wide or a plugin that resides in /wp-content/mu-plugins/. Unless you think that users should activate the plugin on certain blogs only.

Personally, I’d rather see activity karma than blog post karma, but that’s just me.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 62 total)
  • The topic ‘new version of BuddyPress Rate Forum Posts’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar