Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Top
Bottom

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • ok, it seems i have found the issue: i had entered utf8 for the character encoding in the WP dashboard which Firefox and Chrome are more than happy to deal with (utf8=UTF-8=utf8). IE being IE however decided to huff since it wasn’t written UTF-8 and, very generously, picked something else for me. Thanks for the intial tip Paul

    p.s. When I do a view source on either browser it gives me utf8 but then I select View -> Character Encoding from the toolbar, it gives me UTF8 for firefox (and Chrome) but Western (european) for IE so for some reason IE is not picking up UTF8. As of last week I have the latest WP and BP (I know there has been a BP release this week, but would like to sort this before installing).

    I’ve converted all tables and rows etc to utf8, and changed to utf8 in wp-admin and the wp-config file. I checked in Firefox and thought ‘great it works’, until I tested it the following day in IE: Now any áéóíú anywhere (usernames, posts, activities) are not displaying e.g. Clánn Uí and worse still, in WordPress ‘Add new post’, it simply truncates at the accented characted (e.g. tést to t). Firefox works ok in WP. Any thoughts?

    Hi Paul

    I was originally on UTF8 but switched to latin1 one to get around the original problem because I read that UTF8 doesn’t handle áéíóú.
    I’ll try to switch anyway to see if that makes a difference if you thnk it will help. I though that if WP was handling it ok then BP should be too
    I’ll let you know the result

    Dónal

    Hi Joey, just found out how to do this: open bp-activity-filters.php (should be in wp-content/plugins/buddypress/bp-activity) and search for bp_activity_excerpt_length
    I bumped mine up to 1500 and that did the trick for me

    p.s. re Paul Gibbs: the Read More works ok in the activity for a user. It seems only to be a problem within group activity.

    yes, i recently noticed that too – although I thought it was only for deleting and was browser related

    Hi Chouf

    Thanks for the reply, do you mind elaborating a bit on the solution. When you say use octal characters do you mean check for them in the .js and convert where necessary? Could you give me an example of where and how to use it?

    Thanks
    Dónal

    Hi I’ve installed the latest BP and WP and i’ve converted all tables to latin1_general_ci but still having the same problem with the .js groups home page – can anyone please suggest something to try? also when deleting tests from the .js page I’m getting the following error in IE

    Webpage error details

    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729)
    Timestamp: Fri, 12 Aug 2011 00:06:31 UTC

    Message: Object doesn’t support this property or method
    Line: 18
    Char: 19570
    Code: 0
    URI: http://www.irishforall.ie/wp-includes/js/jquery/jquery.js?ver=1.6.1

    Message: Object doesn’t support this property or method
    Line: 18
    Char: 19570
    Code: 0
    URI: http://www.irishforall.ie/wp-includes/js/jquery/jquery.js?ver=1.6.1

    p.s. I had a look at the phpMyAdmin settings and for localhost it has

    MySQL localhost
    MySQL connection collation: UTF8 (I changed this to latin1_general_ci with no luck)

    I noticed on the right pane it still shows:

    MySQL

    Server: Localhost via UNIX socket
    Server version: 5.0.92-community-log
    Protocol version: 10
    User: accessfo@localhost
    MySQL charset: UTF-8 Unicode (utf8)

    I then noticed this in the server variable settings:

    character set client utf8
    (Global value) latin1
    character set connection latin1
    character set database latin1
    character set filesystem binary
    character set results utf8
    (Global value) latin1
    character set server latin1
    character set system utf8
    character sets dir /usr/share/mysql/charsets/
    collation connection latin1_general_ci
    (Global value) latin1_swedish_ci
    collation database latin1_swedish_ci
    collation server latin1_swedish_ci

    Hi James
    When you say it was in your local host, do you mean in your DB – can you explain further please and I’ll try that out on my site
    thanks

    Hi

    Just wondering if anyone knows when BP 1.3 is out? I’ve had this bug for sometime now, similar to the one described above for Portuguese. I’ve did all the manual DB conversions etc and the end result seems to be an AJAX Groups Buddypress bug: if I type an accented Irish charecter á é í ó or ú into anywhere in the groups area, it comes up strange eg Ár instead of ár (within an AJAX content area with sub headings of HOME MEMBERS etc) whereas on my homepage (non AJAX) it seems fine. The intial thread was here https://buddypress.org/community/groups/how-to-and-troubleshooting/forum/topic/from-latin1-to-uft8-issues/

    If 1.3 fixes this and is out soon it would solve a major problem for me. I have been delaying properly releasing this site due to this bug and was considering migrating to another social system as I heard Buddypress was no longer supported but if that’s not true and 1.3 fixes this I’d be happy to hold on a while.

    regards
    Dónal

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Skip to toolbar