Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

404 Page for Activity, Groups, Members

• timothylegg
    Participant

@timothylegg

I have a freshly installed WordPress/BuddyPress with no content added.

Wordpress is 4.1 (latest.tar.gz downloaded on Jan 8, 2014)
    BuddyPress is whatever version it installs when I installed the plugin about 10 minutes afterwards.

At first it seems to be installed, even though there is very little apparent change in the outward appearance of the default website.

But when I follow the path of Settings -> BuddyPress and then click the Pages tab, I get a page where I associate a WordPress page with each BuddyPress component directory. When I click on ‘View’ for either of the ‘Members’, ‘Activity’, or ‘Groups’, I get a 404 page. Apparently the paths of /members, /groups, or /activity were not included.

Similar problems happen, for example, if I were to try to create a group.

I’ve noticed that this has been going on for several years. I’ve found postings regarding this going on 5 years back, but those are older versions in which required different steps to resolve that are no longer reproducible. I find it surprising that I’ve found so little on this given that I’ve done practically nothing to customize the installation.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• Henry Wright

@henrywright

Hi @timothylegg

But when I follow the path of Settings -> BuddyPress and then click the Pages tab, I get a page where I associate a WordPress page with each BuddyPress component directory. When I click on ‘View’ for either of the ‘Members’, ‘Activity’, or ‘Groups’, I get a 404 page.

Check if the members, activity and groups pages are actually created by going to your admin area and then clicking on Pages

timothylegg
    Participant

@timothylegg

I am in as an admin. I go to Settings, then to BuddyPress. When I click Pages, I see two sections: Directories and Registration. Under Registration, Next to the text “Members” is a dropdown menu with a number of choices. It doesn’t matter which item I choose, when I click the “View” button, I get the webserver telling me that /members does not exist on the server. The other items, “Activity Streams” and “User Groups” have a similar behavior.

Going into my DirectoryRoot path and create those folders didn’t do much good. Yeah it fixed the error, but I don’t think that’s how it is really supposed to work.

Henry Wright

@henrywright

Without going to Settings > BuddyPress, just go to Pages. It’s about the 4th link in your admin area (example.com/wp-admin). Then check to see if the pages have been created.

aces
    Participant

@aces

@timothylegg
    Just a thought – have you got pretty permalinks set up?

In WordPress settings > permalinks ( /wp-admin/options-permalink.php )

Getting Started

timothylegg
    Participant

@timothylegg

Henry,

I found the structure you were describing. I see four pages, each apparently published 5 hours ago. I can edit each of them, but viewing them also gives a 404 error. I’m hesitant to edit them because that would only possibly create a page that doesn’t have the coding that should have been included; the coding that makes them special for whatever it is they do.

Aces,

Glad to converse with you. I’ve read some of your more ancient posts in the archives. When I enabled some of the BuddyPress features (such as Groups) I was suggested to change the permalinks to something other than the default. I chose the “Numeric” format purely for aesthetic reasons.

Henry Wright

@henrywright

I see four pages, each apparently published 5 hours ago. I can edit each of them, but viewing them also gives a 404 error.

This indicates there’s a problem. These pages shouldn’t be 404 error pages. There could be something wrong with your set-up, or perhaps your permalinks (as @aces pointed out). From the info available, it’s hard to tell.

timothylegg
    Participant

@timothylegg

What info is needed, or would you recommend a fresh installation?

Henry Wright

@henrywright

What info is needed

It’s hard to say with something like this as it could be something as simple as flushing your permalinks (this just involves visiting your permalinks page under Settings) or it could be a problem with your .htaccess file or an issue with how you’ve installed WordPress.

or would you recommend a fresh installation?

It depends on how easy it is to set up afresh. If you don’t have anything to lose then go ahead. Else, if you have lots of website users, and a database full of content then it might be worth looking for a solution instead.

bp-help
    Participant

@bphelp

@henrywright
    Just my two cents worth but I think if there was a check within BP that “Anyone Can Register” was indeed checked before installing BP would solve tons of issues like this because if someone fails to do this before installing BP then they have to manually associate those pages. If it is checked then they are created on the fly without all the duplicates that can cause 404 issues for beginners that are not sure how to resolve the page associations.

Henry Wright

@henrywright

@bphelp

If [Anyone Can Register] is checked then they are created on the fly without all the duplicates that can cause 404 issues for beginners that are not sure how to resolve the page associations.

I wasn’t aware of that! Cheers for the tip 🙂

jmodine
    Participant

@jmodine

I had the same issue and once I created a dummy user manually created some groups (in the dashboard) and assigned users to the groups the issue went away. It may just be a lack of content causing this issue. Another thing that can cause this is a cloud service. If you are using a cloud service like coudfare (which can come in some hosting packages automatically) you need to set it to developers mode. Otherwise it will give you 404 not found errors even on freshly published articles. Good luck with this issue.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The topic ‘404 Page for Activity, Groups, Members’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar