Groups vs Roles vs Custom Profile Fields
This is my third post recently, and it may very well be another one that makes you seasoned WPMU developers scratch your head and say “Is she for real?” Truth is, I don’t just pop in and ask questions. Believe me, it’s preceded by scouring through Google and reading countless posts. So, maybe I’m just that dense. Or, maybe I’m not fully understanding the use of each of these… I don’t know. But, I’m hoping I can get some input on this.
I’m creating a site that will have three types of users: Paid Subscribers, Free Subscribers, and Trial Subscribers. The features available to each will depend on which category they fall into. I’ll need to refer back to their user type both for payment tracking, as well as what features they do or don’t see. Would it be easier to do this via:
1) assigning each to a group (they don’t have control over changing this). Or, is this misuse of groups?
2) creating a custom role for each of these three types, with capabilities that differ for each one.
3) Just adding a three option drop-down at registration that lets them select which they want to be. Then, that value would be stored in their profile. (My only concern is how easily could that value be destroyed? eg: If the drop down somehow got deleted?)
4) Custom fields
5) Or, maybe there’s a plugin that accomplishes what I want? I came across several, but wasn’t sure if they were what I needed.
Thanks for your input. I really appreciate it!
- The topic ‘Groups vs Roles vs Custom Profile Fields’ is closed to new replies.