Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Automatic Group Joining

• Will White
    Participant

@willpcg

I’m working on a BP setup that will require several fields when the user logs in.

Is it possible to have the user automatically join a group based on a profile field entry? Eg: A user enters “Atlanta” for their city, can we automatically add them to a BP Group for people from Atlanta?

If so, the next step is how to create a group for that city if there isn’t one already.

Has anyone seen a plugin or code to this effect? I’ve searched but come up empty handed.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• takuya
    Participant

@takuya

There’s plugin that helps users to join certain groups on signup. But not based on profile fields.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

The code exists within the core already to do this kind of thing, but it’s a matter of getting all of them to fire on registration/activation.

I’ll take a look at this in the next few days and see if I can piece together a plugin for it.

Will White
    Participant

@willpcg

Thanks John! I’ll keep checking back for your plugin.

gpo1
    Participant

@gpo1

How does it work? do you create a group before users join it or does the plugin create a common group for users with the same fields etc?

Jeff Sayre
    Participant

@jeffsayre

@Gpo1

Since groups are currently “owned” by a single user–that means that every group is started by one user who is the admin–it is not possible to create groups without any members.

Although a plugin could be written that automatically creates a group using the Site Admin’s ID for the creator_id in the groups table. Thus, the Site Admin would be the initial group admin and its only member–until other members were automatically added to it based on the datum in a given profile field.

Samuel Aguilera
    Participant

@samuelaguilera

Then, how is done this?

I want to create a large list of predefined groups using the site admin as creator user.

But I can’t find any plugin or some BP function to make this in a safe way.

I can do it inserting the fields in the DB ok, but I would like to use a BP method if any for this purpose.

Can someone help?

Doug
    Participant

@brainiacwebdesigns

anyone? that would be amazing for the website i am building

@mercime
    Keymaster

@mercime

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘Automatic Group Joining’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar