Keeping WordPress’ Admin Bar
I just installed BuddyPress into a local website to make some tests with it.
It works pretty well with a random theme I’ve chosen (Admired, for those who knows it), but one thing disturbs me a bit.
The sidebar has been changed to the BuddyPress one, but I want to keep the WP one that I find more beautiful and on which I want (almost need) to put extensions. It looks possible, as it’s what is used here But there’s no way I can find how to do that…
I tried to search a bit, but I found nothing corresponding to my problem. Sorry if the post was too hidden for me
PS : lots of questions
1. Which version of WordPress are you running? Last stable version
2. Did you install WordPress as a directory or subdomain install? Directory
3. If a directory install, is it in root or in a subdirectory? subdir
4. Did you upgrade from a previous version of WordPress? If so, from which version? No
5. Was WordPress functioning properly before installing/upgrading BuddyPress (BP)? Yes
6. Which version of BP are you running? Last stable (1.5.6 if I remember well)
7. Did you upgraded from a previous version of BP? If so, from which version? No
8. Do you have any plugins other than BuddyPress installed and activated? If so, which ones? th0t’s quotes, Mingle Forum, Role Editor, Theme my Login
9. Are you using the standard BuddyPress themes or customized themes? Custom theme (Admired)
10. Have you modified the core files in any way? No
11. Do you have any custom functions in bp-custom.php? No
12. If running bbPress, which version? I use MingleForum
13. Please provide a list of any errors in your server’s log files. This is not an error
14. Which company provides your hosting? EasyPHP
15. Is your server running Windows, or if Linux; Apache, nginx or something else? Windows
@gyoo if https://wordpress.org/extend/themes/admired is the Admired theme you’re referring to, we already have instructions for BP compatibility process at https://buddypress.org/community/groups/how-to-and-troubleshooting/forum/topic/buddy-press-not-working-with-my-current-theme/
@mercime Thank you for your answer, but by reading what you linked me, I noticed that I was totally wrong on the words I used : I wasn’t talking about the “widget sidebar”, but of the “admin bar” that is on top of the page. On buddypress’ website, I see the WP admin bar, and that’s what I want to have on my own site.
Then, the answer may be in what you linked, I’ll re-read it to see if I find an answer, but even if I mentioned the Admired theme, I think I’ll get the same “trouble” with any theme (I hope I’ll be understood )
for 1.5.x versions of BP you can add this piece of code in your wp-config.php
`define( ‘BP_USE_WP_ADMIN_BAR’, true );`
or add these function to your theme functions.php file if the above doesn’t work.
remove_action( ‘wp_footer’, ‘bp_core_admin_bar’, 8 );
remove_action( ‘admin_footer’, ‘bp_core_admin_bar’);
or you may wait for BP 1.6 where BP’s adminbar will be integrated in WP’s one.
Just before I read this, I changed my theme to the final one I’ll use (Arras Theme with the Classical Gamer child theme : http://arrastheme.com/ )
Your second solution worked well, but now I have an empty bar as wide as the admin bar just under the real admin bar, here is a pic :
It’s just the top of the page, I think it’s clear enough
In any way, thank you for your solutions and explanations. I can’t wait for BP 1.6, I may even test the 1.6 beta to see how it’s integrated, I’m very interested by this
- The topic ‘Keeping WordPress’ Admin Bar’ is closed to new replies.