Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

WordPress 3.1

• ewebber
    Participant

@ewebber

So WordPress 3.1 has just been launched, I was interested in when Buddypress 1.3 is expected and any experiences/thoughts anyone has about the new updates.

I can see the admin bar is already something that currently clash, although I saw some comments on work arounds for that.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 52 total)

• modemlooper

@modemlooper

I would not upgrade on a live site until you get an official statement from the BP dev team.

ewebber
    Participant

@ewebber

@modemlooper most definitely not – although I did hit upgrade on a dev site and unsurprisingly it broke it, I can’t see the new sparkly dashboard – but I can see the admin bar!

gregfielding
    Participant

@gregfielding

This isn’t going to be a simple upgrade…not just for us BP users. Reading through the list of changes, there are a lot of potential plugin conflicts. Probably best a wait a couple of weeks.

paragate
    Participant

@paragate

Can you share the work arounds for getting rid of the admin bar? It is covering my buddypress bar. Ugh!

aces
    Participant

@aces

`
    /* Disable the WP 3.1 Admin Bar. ( http://yoast.com/disable-wp-admin-bar/ ) */
    add_filter( ‘show_admin_bar’, ‘__return_false’ );
    `
    in functions.php

Boone Gorges
    Keymaster

@boonebgorges

BuddyPress will be updated later today to account for changes in WP 3.1.

In the meantime, if you have upgraded your live site and are unexpectedly missing the BP admin bar, use the code provided by aces above.

ewebber
    Participant

@ewebber

@boonebgorges great, thanks, I look forward to it

modemlooper

@modemlooper

I warn that BP may get upgraded but all those extra plugins may break.

Boone Gorges
    Keymaster

@boonebgorges

The changes that have been made in BP 1.2.8 are very, very unlikely to break any plugins. It’s possible that some of the changes in WP 3.1 will break some BP plugins, though I don’t know of any plugins where that is the case (and I have been running 3.1 in my test installs for quite some time).

modemlooper

@modemlooper

Just warning as people use WP plugins on BP sites and there are a ton of outdated plugins in the repo. I had a couple plugins break in 3.1.

You should always re-test plugins before upgrading BP or WP on a live site.

justbishop

@justbishop

This just terrifies me.

Boone Gorges
    Keymaster

@boonebgorges

You should always test *any* upgrade of *any* type in a development or test environment. Never, ever, ever, ever, ever put untested code into production! A word to the wise :)

josh101
    Participant

@josh101

I got 106 plugins.

Boone Gorges
    Keymaster

@boonebgorges

I got 99 problems.

Virtuali
    Participant

@gunju2221

I just upgraded my wordpress site, and my site turned up no problems so far ya-hoo! :)

Just updated my site to 3.1 and 1.2.8. The only thing i can notice up to now is that i´ve lost the plugin config links that appeared under the buddypress menu tab. Any idea on how to fix this?
    Thanks all.

gregfielding
    Participant

@gregfielding

Those links should come back when the plugin authors update their plugins to be compatible with 3.1

stwc
    Participant

@stwc

Reporting same issue as Andrés Richero on my localhost with 3.1 and BP 1.28. Missing Buddypress dashboard menu items for BP plugins. Site works, but.

ewebber
    Participant

@ewebber

It’s so tempting to press that button (those update messages really nag at you), but I’m going to hold off until I have tested all my plugins and have a good window of time in case something goes wrong

If you can’t see the menu links, if you’re using multisite, you’ll need to be sure that you’re looking at the network dashboard.

Dennis

@altermann

I made the upgrade for test and the menu didn’t show the plugins configs.
    Also, the home just didn’t show anything, I think ir really better waiting for some days/weeks to make a safe upgrade :)

serverdog

@serverdog

My aproach seems to be a little too systematic – however I would like to ask if there is a comprehensive online listing of all buddypress plugins and their compatibility issues – with WP 3.x and among each others? This could be just one big table, however I could not find anything like this. I am not talking about the “works / work not” thing at the WP plugin site – it should be something more overviewable and it would be great to have an API so plugins could check for dependencies and compatibility issues. Is there anything like this?

@mercime
    Keymaster

@mercime

== a comprehensive online listing of all buddypress plugins and their compatibility issues – with WP 3.x and among each others ==

That would a great BP community project if members could/would submit their lists of compatible/incompatible BP plugins. Also would be great if someone could check code of current BP plugins if these were updated to meet this http://bpdevel.wordpress.com/2011/02/24/updating-your-buddypress-plugins-for-1-2-8/

it would be cool if at the very least, something like what Andy Peatling came up with before for previously released BP plugins when BP 1.2 rolled out.

WP.org Forums has some Troubleshooting Tips for those who have issues after upgrading to WP 3.1
    https://wordpress.org/support/topic/troubleshooting-wordpress-31-master-list

HachiHazuki

@hachihazuki

It has broke my bbpress forums…. and even when I’ve made some changes to have bbpress ready to install, it throws me to dashboard when trying to install bbpres… ****!

// edited for language :) – hnla

I blithely upgraded WP to 3.1 and now find the following problems with forums:

New BP groups don’t have a “forum” link on their home page. BP groups created before the WP 3.1 upgrade have the “forum” link but it generates a “URL not found” message.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 52 total)
  • The topic ‘WordPress 3.1’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar