Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

BP-FBConnect Plugin

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 122 total)

• Trent Adams
    Participant

@trent

Thanks for working on this Andy! I noticed that it managed to create my user on my site 4 times. Maybe it has something to do with the wp-super-cache integration or the fact that I wasn’t already logged into Facebook when I tried it on my site. I was logged into facebook and it worked perfect on testbp.org

Trent

Andy Peatling
    Keymaster

@apeatling

Hmm – pretty strange, sounds like your cookie checks went a bit wonky. It could well be cache related. Let’s wait and see if anyone else has problems with that.

clompers

@clompers

The test site is acting a bit odd when I login with my Facebook account. It thinks my profile is http://testbp.org/members/facebookuser/ which belongs to a Trent Adams. Trying to view settings redirects back to http://testbp.org/members/facebookuser/, as does trying to logout through the top grey toolbar.

I’ve restricted my facebook profile quite a bit so maybe its relying on information facebook isn’t providing.

Andy Peatling
    Keymaster

@apeatling

clompers: There was a little bug I found, but it’s fixed now and was causing your issue. Try logging in again, and you should get a new unique username. If you don’t have a public facing profile on Facebook, it won’t pull your name.

clompers

@clompers

Yep, it made a facebookuser2 when I logged in, which I can actually edit. Thanks for the prompt response!

Famous
    Participant

@famous

If someone has already created an account at a particular site, how will the integration work afterward. I wouldn’t want a new account, but maybe I would like to login with my facebook account. I would want the original account I signed up with, I wouldn’t like to create a new one, right?

Andy Peatling
    Keymaster

@apeatling

famous: It won’t unfortunately. If you already have an account, you’ll have to use that unless you delete it and start a new one. One step at a time. :)

gpo1
    Participant

@gpo1

Andy. WoooW, I tested it on the demo site, good stuff !!!! we need now is adapting kaltura plugin (media plugin) for BP!!!

Paul Wong-Gibbs
    Keymaster

@djpaul

Reading the above please would someone clarify what “username” BP thinks it ends up with? Using urls of like /members/facebookuser1…100/ isn’t ideal. Also what happens if the profile is private? At work at the mo so can’t test – thanks

nicolagreco
    Participant

@nicolagreco

andy i made a draft plugin that slug-ize the name on fb like Nicola Greco -> nicola-greco and check in the db if this name is already in use

anyway cool work andy :)

Alex
    Participant

@hempsworth

Andy, thanks for working on this – it was previously discussed but didn’t seem to go anywhere.

Obviously you’re just working at getting basic functionality into it, but I thought I’d paste my featurelist from the other topic, to see whether you would consider building these features in at some point:

For me, a good feature set would be:

* On the signup page have a ‘Create an account using your Facebook details’ button so that information is already added when the users account is created.

* For existing users, a button they can press to connect their accounts up.

* New events on the BuddyPress site to be published on their Facebook account. So, what you would normally have on their profiles ‘Activity’ area, posted onto Facebook. Eg, “John created a new group on The BuddyPress Demo Site”.

* This activity ‘syncing’ can be configured from the users settings page on BuddyPress, so they can turn off activity updates.

* In the same settings page, the user can choose to either use their Facebook avatar, or their BuddyPress one

* Have a page like buddpress-site.com/members/MEMBER/friends/invite, and having the ability to ‘Invite your Facebook friends to BuddyPress Demo Site’, would be great.

Cheers, I’ll be testing out the current version ASAP.

Andy Peatling
    Keymaster

@apeatling

Your username will be your full name if you have a public profile on Facebook. If you do not have a public profile then it will be facebookuserX – pretty simple really.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

@hempsworth, I think the scope of this plugin for right now is really just getting the initial sign-up/login functionality down. Creating a virtual link between facebook and BuddyPress, while a cool idea, is actually quite a task considering the complexity of fbl.

After speaking with Andy last night, part of the problem comes from how Facebook locks down your profile if it’s set to be private (which I’m willing to bet a majority are these days.) If your profile is private, all you get is the facebook user_id, and that’s it.

As far as having the feeds sync up, it would take an active facebook plugin to feed info to both places from both directions. It is a great idea though. I personally wish my Facebook would update my twitter and vice versa.

Paul Wong-Gibbs
    Keymaster

@djpaul

Ah, I know you can get Twitter > Facebook, I use it. Not sure about the other way around.

Michael Berra
    Participant

@miguael

It’s a totally great start – Andy, you are still THE GURU :-)

But for me, what hempsworth is stating is even more important then the login possibility. If some Gurus could take Andys work further, it would be GREAT. FOr me it would be perfect, if people could connect afterwards their account with facebook, and the admin could choose, if he want’s to connect with a facebook-login or afterwards (after greating a normal BP-User).

For my project I don’t want people greating accounts without the required fields. But I nedd a great facebook-connection!

Just some thoughts… sadly I am not able to code it… :(

Michael Berra
    Participant

@miguael

I tried to install it on my server but I couldn’t even activate the plugin – fatal error. I am using trunk 1179. With a german internalization.

Any ideas?

Famous
    Participant

@famous

Andy, lost here. I uploaded the plugin, activated it, posted the api’s…

Confused–why do I put this in the comments “<?php do_action(‘fbc_display_login_button’) ?>”?

Where do I put the facebook login button–code?

I though I would put, “<?php do_action(‘fbc_display_login_button’) ?>” in the header somewhere not comments.php?

And although I did put it in the comments.php I don’t see it in the header anywhere? My header has been changed from the template–is there some kind of code I have to reinsert to see the button? Thanks for your feedback…

Andy Peatling
    Keymaster

@apeatling

famous: if you have the latest trunk version, you do not need to do anything, I’ve taken care of the button posting code with hooks. It should auto add the Facebook Connect button to your search-signup bar in the header.

benny148148
    Participant

@benny148148

Is it possible to allow the user to change the site’s slug from facebookuser9 or whatever to their actual name once they edit their information? Or will this always make the slug facebookuserX?

It’s an awesome plugin by the way! Just wondering if there’s any way around the slug issue?

@Nicola: Would you be willing to post your plugin somewhere?

benny148148
    Participant

@benny148148

or maybe something that makes the slug for private profiles the user’s email address name prior to the @symbol….ie benny148148@gmail.com would create a benny148148 slug…and somebody who signs up on a later date with benny148148@hotmail.com would get benny1481482 as their slug, or something similar.

Not sure how difficult this would be…assuming it’s even possible at all. It would definitely be prettier than the facebookuserX…of course, we’ll probably never be happy :D

Thanks again for this plugin!

Andy Peatling
    Keymaster

@apeatling

No, because Facebook does not give you access to user’s email address.

It’s not possible to change your member slug right now, but it could be possible in the future. Not important enough at the moment though.

benny148148
    Participant

@benny148148

fair enough, thanks for the quick response.

danielfelice
    Participant

@danielfelice

How do we make this work on a custom theme?

Donnacha
    Participant

@donnacha

This is no doubt a dumb question but I need to ask: where, exactly, is the Facebook login button/option/page?

Both logged in and logged out, I have looked all over http://testbp.org/register and http://testbp.org/register but cannot spot it.

bobman024
    Participant

@bobman024

Hmmm….I just installed the plugin and am getting the setting page. I have already set up the proper facebook API Key and Secret and am not seeing anything….

Is it because I am running RC1?

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 122 total)
  • The topic ‘BP-FBConnect Plugin’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar