Forum Replies Created
Hi Ryan, I tested the plugin but went with a different option (email domain blocking) due to the spammers being able to bypass every other tool used, including honeypot traps.
I noticed a bug in the beta version I downloaded in the early hours of this morning (v1.4.3): the tracking message wouldn’t click-off no matter which option I chose or who clicked it.
Thank you for putting the plugin together. We might give it a try again later.
Second post to activate followup notifications (can the forum mods assume we want to know about follow ups and work on an opt out basis, please).
Definitely need something to can the spam. I had to disable Akismet on one site because it prevented comma separated lists being posted. Will Spam Destroyer allow comma separated lists to be posted?
Sorry, I missed your reply. I don’t need a refresh button now because I’m using the RS BuddyPress Activity Refresh plugin to automatically update the activity stream in realtime but my idea was that I could use a refresh button to allow members to refresh the activity stream without needing to refresh the whole page. A refresh button would be quicker and smoother because it would use Ajax.
As an aside from the main topic, looking at this, I can see how I could add a ‘Refresh’ button just above the stream.
Gave it a go but couldn’t get it to work properly. The filter displays ‘Updates’ but the stream still returns unfiltered posts. The only reason I can think of for it not working is if there is another file that controls the default option. Maybe it’ll work after a full restart of my computer. Will test that one tomorrow.
I’m trying that one but it’s not working properly. I have to select Everything (or anything other than Updates) then select Updates for only updates to show. Will keep playing until we get it.
I have another idea. Is it possible to set a default filter option for the global activity stream such that the dropdown filter box defaults to ‘Updates’ instead of ‘Everything’?
Hi @chouf1, I was looking for a way that would keep the updates I want to remove in the database but I’m happy to go with this plugin temporarily. Thank you so much.
@nylarosie The file to put under /plugins is bp-custom.php not bp-custom-php.
@chouf1 Thank you. I have tried this method in the past but it didn’t work. Placed the function in my child theme’s functions.php and in bp-custom.php but neither bore fruit. Will try again. Maybe I had a mistake the function I used.
I tried doing this using several different methods. Have forgotten what those methods were but they didn’t work so won’t help you much anyway. Good luck getting a workable solution. Will keep watching this thread to see where you get.
I found what I was looking for. For some reason PoEdit was unable to find the tab titles when I was editing it. A search of the .po file in Kate fixed that. Don’t know why I didn’t do that before.
Thanks for your help 🙂
Thanks but I had a look in the .pot language file for the menu tab names but couldn’t find them. I could add the required lines to the .pot file but then I’d need to know which files and on which lines the tab names appear in(?). Would you happen to know which files I should be looking in?
I have the same issue. For now I’ve created a menu link to domain/blogs/create/ but I’d rather it be in the Buddy Bar. Also, going to “Dashboard > Sites > Create Site” takes non admins to domain/wp-signup.php which takes them to the site’s home page.
I’m using WordPress Multi-Site + BuddyPress + Membership Premium.
@mercime, thank you very, very much. Works perfectly. I might have a go at writing a plugin to do this automatically, unless someone else gets there before me.
Edit to add: just one thing, there’s no need for the forward slash prefix before the slug name but there should be one after it, e.g
Thanks Paul, I do understand that. The WordPress issue was caused by BuddyPress so I thought it might be something you guys here might have come across before. I will post at wordpress.org too.
I’ve now attempted to create 8 new sites on the network. All with different names and all created from Network Admin. WordPress creates the tables for the sites but that’s as far as it gets. The table infixes increase by 1 with each site created.
Here’s the error received while updating the network after reinstalling all WordPress files except wp-config.php and .htaccess (not the database):
“Warning! Problem updating http://blog.example.com. Your server may not be able to connect to sites running on it. Error message: Couldn’t resolve host ‘blog.example.com'”
WordPress knows the site is there. I suspect it hasn’t created the virtual host; not sure how to check for that – my eyes are open to learning new things here
Both wp-config.php and .htaccess are confirmed as being unaltered by BuddyPress.
I’ve tried creating sites with all plugins deactivated but the result is the same.
Edited to add: site registration is enabled.
Thanks for your reply but BuddyPress is deactivated and deleted. The multi-site install worked perfectly prior to the installation of BuddyPress. The whole issue developed due to BuddyPress. It is the second time I’ve installed BuddyPress into a site (different sites) and BuddyPress has caused a multi-site to not properly register new sites within the network.