Re: Needing Help converting fron RC-1 to BuddyPress Plugin on existant site
In theory you should be able to upgrade from RC1 to 1.0.3 without a problem. What truly matters is the integrity of your database. That being said, when I have not upgraded a WP site for a long time, I prefer to upgrade in several increments.
But if you follow this course, you should be okay (of course, there are no guarantees):
- backup your database–the most crucial step
- deactivate any BuddyPress-specific plugins in WPMU’s back end
- then deactivate BuddyPress itself
- delete the buddypress directory
- download BP version 1.0.3
- follow the instructions in BP’s readme.txt file
- reactivate BP sitewide
Then you will most likely have to change your theme files to get them to work.
If all goes terribly wrong, you can always redownload the old tagged version 1.0-RC1 of BP from here, restore your DB from your backup, and then reinstall and reactivate the old version.
Of course, before deleting your current version of BP, it is probably a good idea to back that up as well. That way, if something goes awry and you need to revert, you know you have the exact same files you used before.
Also, make sure that you have backup copies of your custom theme files as well.